For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Blood Pressure Fluctuations Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By pickles On 2014.04.05 00:40
Hi folks,

My person with Parkinson's is having some issues upon standing with a 30+ point drop in the top systolic number when they stand up. They've had some very minor falls but we've recently gone from a cane to a walker in the home to help with balance.

Please forgive my bluntness but where are we here in terms of commonality of BP fluctuations like this and overall progression. Is this a big sign or another little one? Is this common?

Does this mean we need to have a wheelchair around just in case? Any fortunetellers out there that can see the future for us?

Anyone? ;)

Thanks,
Pickles

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.04.05 09:03
Pickles, Drop in blood pressure upon standing is common with P.D. the best hint given is to try to rise slowly to a standing position. I'm not sure where or if there is even a guide line or scale of the amount of or ranger of pressure difference. I do know that some have so much difference in their pressure that they can pass out or faint from it. Many experience these problems earlier in the disease, many later. I know this isn't the information you're hoping the hear maybe some one else can tell you more. I hope it helps some. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.04.05 12:22
Pickles, my MIL had extremely low BP all during her PD. Carl is battling it right now...at one point, it was 72/62...way too low...so, he went immediately to the local doctor, who ran some tests in her office...she then called his neuro in San Francisco...they decided he needed changes in two of his meds...and he was to take them three times a day, instead of twice. Also, like Al says, they told Carl to rise slowly...it is normal for BP to drop with PD...He had to go once a week for a month, and now, just two days ago, his BP registered at 112/78... Much better! Good luck...Carl was dx 6 years ago, but his Mom had PD for over 22 years, with bp LOW all the time...

By dans316 On 2014.04.05 14:40
My wife had low bp in 2010 and her Neuro put her on Fludrocortisone. Now readings are more normal.

By Mary556 On 2014.04.05 17:51
my Mom's BP got dangerously low a few days after she started a tricyclic anti-depressant. mostly returned to normal when it was discontinued.

God bless all of our PwPs and caregivers.

By pickles On 2014.04.06 20:10
Thanks guys. <3

By carman96 On 2014.04.06 22:50
Yes, my husband has had this for several years. Every medication bottle he has says may cause dizziness. So who knows if it's one of the meds or the Parkinson's. He doesn't really feel dizzy, more light headed and yes he has fallen quite a bit from this. Or more like, his legs just give out and he kind of just collapses. Makes it difficult to go places sometimes.

By carman96 On 2014.04.07 04:16
Also it's important to drink lots of water so they say.

By McCall On 2014.04.08 08:52
another thing to consider, such drops upon rising are common in some of the Parkingson syndromes such as MSA, I would be sure to discuss it with your doctor. Also as stated, drink a lot of water.

By Dixie74 On 2014.04.11 20:07
My husband has had PD for 14 years and he has had way too may dizzy spells. PD lowers the BP and so does his carbadopa and levodopa. He lost a lot of weight and they took him off the BP meds. On occasion it gets high so he can take a BP pill to lower it, which we had to do today. I never know when or where it is going to happen, many times at church or in a crowd. We still get out but I am always watching and waiting. So when I get away along it is so different to not watch for a fall etc. He has a med alert to wear when I am gone, of course he doesn't think he needs it. He has had serious falls. He had the DBS surgery on one side in November. I had hoped there wouldn't be anymore dizzy falls. The surgery was well worth it though.

By EachDay On 2014.04.11 21:14
Not really about BP even though my husband has been low for years without really giving him problems but getting off Simvasatin has helped make his more normal. My real question is about DBS. He is scheduled for DBS evaluation and possible surgery this summer. Please how was the surgery well worth it? I somehow focus on how much more difficult it has been.

By Dixie74 On 2014.04.12 11:00
My husband is 5 months post DBS and yes it is worth it. Just remember and remind family and friends that there is the honeymoon period after the first of two surgeries which are a week apart. My husband was his old self that week between. The second part of the surgery he had anesthetic and it took two weeks to shake that off in a PD body. Then he was feeling so much better over all and now the adjusting of the stimulator and meds are a work in progress. He does not have tremor or the total body movement and less rigidity. However they only put the wires in on one side and I think we have problems because the other side is progressing and fights against the "helped" side. They still may do the other side. He smiles more, laughs more and wants to go more. He forgets that he needs to use a cane because of balance. Yes we would do it again.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you