For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic hands folding Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Rempt2 On 2014.04.05 09:11
The last few months my husbands hands are slowly formed into a clinch and now the wrists are turning inward. We've tried splints but these are hard to get on as when you unfold his fingers it is painful. His primary care dr put him on muscle relaxants which help some. This condition makes it difficult for him to feed himself, holding a drink cup and to transfer to the car. Does anyone have an experience with this condition and any advice? Not being able to use his hands makes it difficult to get him out alone. He has had different dx depending on who he sees. The most recent said possible MSA but of course you can't be sure as he doesn't have some of the symptoms. Thanks

By McCall On 2014.04.05 11:36
Have you tryed a Rheumatologist to be sure it is not the tendons, my mother had that and mine are starting to do the same thing, there is surgery for it that can help if that is what it is. Worth a try.

By Rempt2 On 2014.04.05 12:27
I was thinking having him see a rheumatoid dr to see if there is any medicine that can help his condition. My mother had rheumatoid arthritis. He doesn't have this and isn't in pain except when you try to straighten his fingers and then he is in pain. His dr. mentioned something about surgery but he wasn't sure he would be a good candidate for surgery as he is very frail. Thanks for your insight.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.04.05 13:08
To Me it sounds like dystonia. If that's the case I don't know much you can do. It can be caused by Parkinson's Disease itself or a side effect of some anti Parkinson's medication. Splints won't do much and can end up injuring the muscles and tendons. As for operations, I don't know what they would do? If dystonia think of it like a cramp the muscles contract and cause the hands and wrist to curl. What would they do? Cut the tendon or muscle? (I'm just asking as I see no way to correct it otherwise) then He would be left without any control. As frustrating as it is and as hard to function if He is not in pain I'd say leave it. Operations and Anastasia (sp) do not do well with Us Parkies. This risk has to be weighed against any gain that might be had. There are many of these "little quirks" that come with Parkinson's that many laypeople and medical people don't know or don't put two and two together and take them as separate entities when they are in reality a part of the whole disease presentation. I know this isn't what you're wanting to hear but the rheumatologist if not knowledgeable in Parkinson's prescribes a medication that interacts or counteracts anti-Parkinson's medication He'll be in worse shape. So make sure you alert him to the dystonia factor of P.D. (better to offend the Doc than a trip to an emergency room. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By JulieB On 2014.04.05 14:18
I have seen this in my husband's hands a little bit, but never knew until today that it was probably PD. Duh. It's one of the things I've read about but apparently not retained, I guess, because I knew this, but for whatever reason, wasn't attributing Michael's hand changes to PD. Maybe I'm in denial or just slow to process the smaller changes because the huge changes are so challenging. I like what you said, Al.... thank you. I'm sorry this is happening, Rempt. xoxo

By Rempt2 On 2014.04.05 16:17
thanks much for the replies. While he has had problems with dystonia and now this he excels at swallowing (had his year checkup on that) and most times sleeps through the night.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.04.05 19:31
Right now I can't remember the fancy term for another term for a problem We have which is a "classic" Parkinson's symptom. When standing our forearms pull or rise up and our hands kind of flop limply (like when a dog begs or as they use to say like a kangaroo.

I don't pause to look in mirrors too much and remember probably 18 years ago when I got my first service/balance dog, looking at the photos I saw I was standing like that! In all the pictures! It was shocking and very unsettling to me. I related to My Neurologist (like he didn't know and had probably noted this in my records long before I became aware of it) After I told Him his reply was something like yes it's ...insert the fancy term in here.... it's part of Parkinson's, there's nothing We can do about it. There are a lot worse things that can be going on now, think about it this is nothing compared to them.

Yeah gee thanks Doc, I just never realized I was doing that, it shocked me. I guess what I'm getting at is at times I may answer in a seemingly blunt way or down play a scary issue here on the forum. I don't do this out of any lack of compassion, believe me when I say I've been there in and with some scary stuff so I know where you're mostly coming from. It's just that sometimes there is nothing that can be done that problems don't have answers and I believe like My Neurologist if it's a shovel call it a shovel and if it doesn't have an answer say it doesn't. I don't have all the answers because not all can be answered but I do know some and I do understand fear and dismay in P. D. take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.04.05 20:46
I realize this isn't PD related, but it WAS the result of damage to our daughter's brain stem/brain...But it suddenly came to mind that the nurses would put rolled up washcloths in each of our daughter's hands. I remember asking why and was told it was to keep her muscles from tightening, since her brain no longer could direct her to relax. Perhaps this is similar...I have no idea...My first thought was arthritis, as Al suggested...then, today as I was cleaning, the movie, "The Descendants"came on and and the wife was lying in bed with the rolled up washcloths and I remembered our experience..Again, it isn't a long term solution, but thought it might help until your doctor gives you a far better answer and course of action, hugs, Jane

By Rempt2 On 2014.04.05 21:04
The OT did suggest washcloths until he got the splints so his nails wouldn't dig into his hands. He's back to the wash cloths when he isn't wearing the splints (which irritated his skin). What the nurses told you about not being able to relax muscles is interesting. It's hard to put on the splints as his fist is like a vice which is why he is on muscle relaxers. they help a bit. He had a good day watching train movies. Thanks for your support.

By jcoff012 On 2014.04.05 23:12
Any time...

I hesitated to write, because our daughter was in a bad car/pedestrian accident, so she was declared brain dead, not at all Parkinson's related...Just sounded similar because of the brain/muscle connection...I wish I was able to help you more...Amazing that our experience was 30 years ago, the movie was supposed to be just six years ago, but using the washcloths are still used...

So glad you had a good day. Hope you have more. Hugs, Jane

By seawench On 2014.04.07 10:02
My husband receives Botox injections to relieve the very tight muscles in his neck that pull his chin down. Perhaps this would help with the wrists? The injections were administered by a Neurologist.

Seawench

By HKMP5N On 2014.04.07 10:13
My Father's hands did exactly this.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you