For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Insensitive Daughter Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By cmonge On 2014.04.22 11:27
My husband has been on disability from this disease for the last 5 years. His ex still receives alimony based on his salary from when he was working in addition to a part of his pension which he now receives. He just filed to stop alimony after paying for 13 years. His daughter is livid. She thinks he should still pay despite his illness and the fact that she is not necessarily entitled. How can she be so selfish and insensitive? She feels that because I have a decent job we can still afford it-but I won't be able to work forever and care for him.

By carman96 On 2014.04.22 11:53
Wow, sorry about that. It certainly is none of his daughters business. Alimony is between the two people who are divorced. It is sad for your husband that his daughter feels the need to be involved and is so insensitive to his problems. Not to mention that your job should not be part of the equation.
That is a really long time to get alimony. She must have had a good lawyer.
Good luck to you and I sure hope the daughter can get over it or at least have the sense to keep her feelings to herself.

By cmonge On 2014.04.30 09:26
Thank you. She did write him a big apology, but said she could not apologize to me because I treat him (and her) terribly. I am selfish and use his illness for my own pity party. I really just want to run away.

By ResistanceFutil On 2014.05.01 06:57
We don't have the alimony issue to deal with, but we are a "blended" family. So far no overt disagreements or criticisms, but my husband and I took the step several years ago of partitioning our estate to avoid any "showdown" over assets between his children and me or my son and him. I am sure that some blended families do fine, but some of us never quite "blend", especially when the children are grown at the time of marriage and there is an active ex- in the picture keeping things stirred up.

I'm glad for your husband's sake that she and her father have made up. I hope you can find plenty of love and support elsewhere.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you