For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Driving Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2014.04.25 14:33
I do all of the driving now and we have to make a long trip which is about a 5 - 6 hour drive. We are going to split it up a little on the way up by staying overnight, but it will be a whole trip without staying over coming back.
Do any of you have any tips?
We will be stopping for lunch for sure on the way back. I noticed last time I made it until about 2 hours from home and at that time by husband took over. This time he is without a license so it's totally up to me.
I was thinking of going the long way which has less traffic than the expressway, but it would take longer, but haven't totally decided that route.
Does stopping more often for breaks really help? What do you think?

By carman96 On 2014.04.25 15:58
Lynnie, I feel for you. I have been doing all the driving for years now. It's getting more difficult for us to take car trips. The worst for me is the restroom problem.
I would rather drive as far as I can at a time with as few breaks as possible. I usually can't go more than 1or 2 hours before I need potty break.
So stopping a lot is difficult because getting in and out of the car a couple times gets him pretty exhausted. If there's not a family bathroom I will go into the men's room with him. It would be easier if I could get him to wear diapers because at least then I wouldn't have to worry about accidents.
Sorry I can't help much here but I am curious to see what tricks others might have for this situation.

By Lynnie2 On 2014.04.25 17:19
Fortunately my husband doesn't have to stop for bathroom breaks very often so we are okay that way.
He doesn't have problems getting out of the car and he walks okay.
He just have a little problem doing up the seat belt sometimes or zipping his coat. He'll probably sleep quite a bit of the way.
Thanks for your concern.
LYNNIE

By Dixie74 On 2014.04.25 17:56
I know a friend that took a plastic urinal with a lid and her husband used that sometimes rather than getting out every time or if the need is immediate while you are on the road. We caregivers become very creative!!

By Lynnie2 On 2014.05.03 09:54
Thanks, I think we'll be okay. We'll take our time.

By carman96 On 2014.05.03 10:26
Lynnie, I read your original post again and it sounds like you are more worried about how you will do rather than your husband. I understand because I don't mind driving but long trips are difficult. I don't know if I could drive more than 4 hours without pooping out. I have a problem driving in traffic since I live in the mountains I am not used to freeways or city traffic. Once I took the long way home because there was less traffic, but next time I used the faster way because I decided to bite the bullet so I could get home faster.
I'm sure you will be fine, after all, we caretakers are pretty good at doing what needs to be done, right?
Take as many breaks as you think you need.

By Lynnie2 On 2014.05.03 15:56
Thanks Carmen.
I think I will take the short way even though it's busier. I will be driving on a weekday before the heavy traffic starts for the holiday, so that will help.
I have better glasses now so that should help too and my eyes won't be as tired.
I am becoming a stronger person since my husband was diagnosed, so I know what you mean.
Thanks again and have a good week.

By Trusting On 2014.05.03 22:13
Lynnie, last fall my husband and I took a 8 hr trip. I drove it all. I did fine on the way down but after site-seeing and not being able to get my normal rest I became extremely tired on the drive home. There was no place we could stay and I was getting dangerously sleepy. I pulled into a gas station and drank my first ever "Bull" energy drink. It made me wide awake and I was able to make the rest of the trip. While I don't condone energy drinks I think it saved the day for me during the drive. Just a thought.

By Lynnie2 On 2014.05.04 08:55
Thanks Trusting but maybe I'd better forgo the energy drinks if they have sugar, since I am diabetic. Maybe just coffee would help.
Thanks again. LYNNIE

By HangingOn On 2014.07.01 22:03
I am sure you have gone on your trip by now. I hope all went well. I just joined so I did not comment sooner. I too am the primary driver. We went on a 20 hour trip! I did all the driving. It was an adjustment, since we used to share the driving and then flew. Now with me staying home with him the budget is tight and we can drive for less. You have to do what works for you.

By umajane On 2014.07.01 22:48
I really do not mind driving but now my husband is telling me where to go, when to turn etc etc. now that I do all the driving he is driving me crazy. I have a short fuse when it comes to that sort of thing... He was a Critical back seat driver before he was diagnosed but now it is nuts. I just have to be patient and understanding. Ha Ha. Easy to say hard to do..but we will perservere.

By Eman On 2014.07.02 03:33
By umajane On 2014.07.01 22:48

I have a suggestion hopefully you wont mind, I hope you know where your ending when you go out, with his back seat driving, if he confused he can really divert you lol as it has happened to me .

By HangingOn On 2014.07.07 13:54
Same here, he corrects me on my driving. He was never a great driver, but now he corrects me. We were coming back home and friends in the backseat...he hollers "watch out". Scaring me. He thought the car in the other lane was in our lane. I bite my tongue, I repeat in my head...it's just the PD, it's just the PD...

By carman96 On 2014.07.09 09:16
My husband does the same thing. Look out, you're in the wrong lane! Of course I'm not. He's also tried to shift for me, (luckily it just went into neutral) taken off his seatbelt, opened the door to spit, locks and unlocks the door several times etc. It's so distracting!
Watch out! Look! This only helps if there really is something to watch out for. He also tells me where he thinks I should be turning even though it makes no sense.
I'm so glad he can't drive anymore, but he's making me a nervous nellie of a driver.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you