For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Obsessive Behavior Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By umajane On 2014.05.01 18:38
Because of obsessing about simply tasks my husband keeps falling. He like to crouch down and then can't stand up and falls over backwards. The jobs include garden work and wrapping up the hoses. Also putting the leash on the dog and again crouching.
None of these things need to be done. We are having a huge heatwave in Northern California. This afternoon while I was on this website I found him on the ground trying to wrap up the hose in perfect circle....again not necessary. He has been lucky so far.....how can I reason with him? Does he have to end up with broken bones before he will get it?
Or maybe with PD he never will.

By jcoff012 On 2014.05.01 21:09
Jane, I live with an oc person...even before PD! It is a difficult life...I am kinda laughing, but it truly is hard to keep the bathroom towels straight, the house picked up with our four year old grandson staying here during the week, etc...When we saw the movie with Julia Roberts who was trying to please an oc person, I had to laugh, then told Carl that that was him to a t! He isn't mean, just obsessive about everything...he even makes folders for our trips...no kidding...manila folders for each time we go anywhere....

So, I wish I could help you by saying it gets better...but, unless Al or someone else says it is the meds, I have just learned to accept it...and move on...we have had some spirited fights over the fact that I am FARRRRR from oc about ANYTHING! Good luck! Been 48 years for me! lolol Hugs, Jane

By parkinit On 2014.05.01 22:16
Making folders and creating agendas for trips is considered OCD? Hmmm. I do this!!! LOL. It made me chuckle when you said this is OCD.

I like to think of it as extremely organized and a type A person, Jane. LOL

By umajane On 2014.05.01 23:17
well come to think about it I guess I am a bit obsessive myself but my husbands obsessiveness could lead to falling, broken bones etc.etc. Oh well just venting...thanks, Jane

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.05.02 00:55
Years ago this prompted Me to get my 1st service dog. Not that I had to coil the hose but whenever I would squat down I ended up smack on my personality! The dog was trained to pick up anything I dropped, Squire would get it in His mouth then pick his head up and hold it at hand level so I could get it without bending or squatting. (He could pick a dime up off the floor and quicker than I or anyone else could then spit it in my hand). I don't know what to tell you only maybe encourage squatting down because our butt is closer to it's landing spot when we do (pack a few hankies in each back pocket to soften the landing, but I'm sure He feels useful when doing those things until his in the position of needing help to get up. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.05.02 15:01
Well, to "us normal" folks, creating folders with travel information appears to be o/c-like...It's when he expects ME to do the same that I rebel...I am extremely well organized, but if we are headed out for fun, that's where the folders can be put aside! lol

We all do what works...Thanks for the input, Al...didn't realize that that was the reason for the guide dogs...You are blessed with good ones.

Hope you all have a good weekend.

Carl and Amy built Nigel a cedar playhouse yesterday...in 93+ heat! Came from Costco...had 200 parts...no way would I volunteer for that! (I did notice how much more patient he is working on something like that with our daughter, than he would have been with me!) That said, we NEVER have been great working together on projects/again, the ocd in him takes over...lol...Hugs, Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you