For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Newbie Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Michele On 2014.05.13 23:47
Hi my name is Michele. My father has PD. He will be 84 in July. Has anyone experienced the dementia and paranoia aspects of this disease?

By parkinit On 2014.05.14 00:06
Welcome, Michele. Yes, we have. Is your father taking meds for this aspect of the disease? We have dealt with this. Meds help to an extent.

Is his doctor aware of these symptoms? If not, an appointment should be made and some adjustments may need to be made to his meds.

Thanks for joining us. You will find helpful, loving people here who honestly care. We are all going thru (or have gone thru) many of the same things.

By Michele On 2014.05.14 00:53
My Dad isn't taking any meds for PD at all. About 5 years ago a neurologist put him on Requip (?) he had severe side affects. Refused to return to dr. His GP is trying to get him to go to another neurologist but my dad will say he will go then refuses to keep the appointment.
He gets very confused at times especially at night although it is during the day time too.
I guess the worst part is he has these fixed delusions he believes my step mom has stolen money from their joint account. They've been married 22 years. She has been battling multiple myeloma for over a year. Her third type of treatment has stopped working. She's dying and he's breaking her heart and all of it is breaking mine! Sorry:(

By jaxrock On 2014.05.14 08:04
Well,I think you're on the right track...thinking of a new neurologist. There must be a way you can get your dad to a new doctor....perhaps plan a lunch or coffee outing with him after the appointment...try to make it a social outing, more than a doc. appt.
Parkinson meds may help immensely with your dad's mental situation.
And, yes, Requip can cause some terrible mental/personality problems..
Keep trying to get him to the new neurologist.....and, of course, tell the doctor about the problems with Requip..
Good luck.....

By JulieB On 2014.05.14 08:57
Hello Michele, I was surprised to read that your dad isn't taking any meds. His life could be much improved if he would consider taking them -- maybe you could ask him to take them on a trial basis? Tell him that if he isn't feeling better after one month, he could go back to his way. He may be so much improved he'd want to continue taking them. I agree with others -- find a new doctor, tell him/her about the Requip and confusion. My husband was diagnosed in 2004 but had been symptomatic before then. He does have PDD (Parkinson's Disease with Dementia) and it can certainly make things hard. He is better in the mornings, like your dad, and declines as the day goes on. We all wish you well as you advocate for your dad, Michele....God bless you and your family! xoxo

By carman96 On 2014.05.14 19:54
Welcome to the forum. Sorry you and your step mother are going through this. It's hard to help someone who doesn't want to be helped. Is there anyone else who your father might listen to? He really could benefit from a good neurologist.
My husband has dementia but so far no paranoia, just a lot of confusion. It's so hard to deal with when you can't reason with someone.
It sounds like you really care about your stepmom. The best thing you can do for her is to just give your support.
Good luck and hang in there.

By Rempt2 On 2014.05.14 23:14
My father had dementia (but not PD) and paranoia. He thought I was poisoning him and his cat. After he got medicine it was totally different and we were able to reconnect.

By jcoff012 On 2014.05.14 23:17
Hi Michele,

My name is Jane and my husband is Carl. He was dx over four years ago, but his Mom had PD for over 22 years...no two PD journeys are the same, but we are probably more aware of the future than most.

Requip has a bad name to a lot of people with PD, but my husband has been on it for three years...he just three weeks ago started on Sinemet. He has had no ill effects from the Requip, just the normal PD problems. Each person reacts differently to his or her meds.

I wish there was an easy answer to your fight against dementia. It is a heartbreaking thing to watch and become part of one's life. My MIL was a dear, kind woman, but as her dementia worsened, she became another person...However, she was the opposite of most...in her case, she became withdrawn and quieter than usual...she had hallucinations and other odd behaviors, but she was a doll til the end two years ago. I miss her.

Please do not internalize your Dad's illness. We all can only do what we can at any given moment. Love your Dad and try to find a different doctor. You all will be relieved when you find a good one...it took us four years and four doctors, but we now have the best in California! I hope you soon can say that, too!

Hugs to you and love and peace to your dear stepmom. I am a cancer survivor, so I understand that it is extremely hard on a wife to battle her own health issues all the while knowing her husband is suffering. Take care. Stay in touch...and welcome, again, Jane

By Michele On 2014.05.15 08:00
Thank you all so much for the comments, advise and above all understanding! I keep rereading the post's and I don't feel so alone. I have siblings but they don't believe that so much of what we are seeing is the PD. I'm the youngest and live next door to my Dad. I've been working my way through the older posts And it's very helpful! So glad I found you guys. Love and prayers to you all.
I'll go ahead and say it too. I HATE THIS DISEASE!!

By carman96 On 2014.05.15 10:45
Michele, by now after reading the posts you know that what your father is experiencing is very much consistent with PD with dementia. Your siblings need to quit with the denial and try to help.
Good luck to you, and you are definitely not alone!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you