For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic adapting to a changing perspective Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.05.20 00:14
Perspectives change in life and Parkinson's keeps Us on our toes as they change throughout the years, months, weeks, days and hours (sometimes minutes). I'm sure I've posted this before on the forum and I thought it might help others get through a hard moment or two.

(from the APDA Young Parkinson's Newsletter - Summer 2000) What will your day bring? Having a disease like Parkinson's makes the days a bit more challenging, but each day we have the gift of choice- of being able to some extent determine what kind of day it will be for us. The Author of the following piece is unknown, but I thank Him/Her for the inspiration and perspective it provides.

"Today....

Today I can grumble about my health or I can rejoice that I am alive

Today I can fell sad that I don't have more money or I can be glad that my finances encourage me to plan my purchases wisely and guide me away from waste.

Today I can cry because the roses have thorns or I can celebrate that thorns have roses

Today I can complain because the weather is rainy or I can be thankful that the grass is getting watered for free

Today I can mourn my lack of friends or I can excitedly embark upon a quest to discover new relationships

Today I can murmur dejectedly because I have to do housework or I can feel honored because I have been provided shelter for my mind. body and soul

Today stretches ahead of me waiting to be shaped. And I am the sculptor who gets to do the shaping"

Myself I've drawn strength from the little piece for years now, when I wake in the morning shove my medicine in my mouth and swallow it (hoping Tess my dog hasn't taken a "little lap or two from my mug of water by the bedside). Waiting for the med's to kick in I've learned not to plan today out I try to take it as it comes. Today is all I have, a endlessly seeming string of todays but I'll get through what today brings it's all I have and all I have to do meet today and see it through. Then in the morning I have today again maybe with new challenges or just the same ones but I see it through somehow, someway We make it through. And every night we can look back at today with satisfaction of doing that job of getting through today. I hope everyone finds some rest tonight and we'll "see" each other Today and the Today after that.....take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.05.20 09:39
Perfect timing, Al...After a disheartening weekend with our morose son, this was what I needed...I am going to copy it and send it to him...He had a surprisingly sad breakup last summer with a woman with whom he lived and planned to marry in December 2013, and he isn't moving on...It was extremely hard on Carl...for the first time since dx, Carl went to bed at 9 PM Sunday night and did not get up til 10 Monday morning...he was melancholy and tired all day yesterday...to be expected after several tense times this weekend...

Like you so aptly posted...he needs to know each day is a new day...it does no one good to wallow in misery...

I guess what came out of this weekend was the fact that Carl was still able to be "Dad" in the truest sense of the word...I took our granddaughter to the hotel for the night while Carl intervened and had the proverbial talk...I figure if a PWP can take that stress, so can I...

Again, Al, thank you for your wisdom...this journey is always easier for us, knowing you are here...Much love and hugs...and the mental image of you and Tess fighting over your water is perfect...did you REALLY think YOU were the boss in your home??? lol Jane

By JulieB On 2014.05.20 11:35
Sometimes we need someone to snatch the pity-party glasses off our noses and put the count your blessings glasses in front of our eyes. This was a good and needed reminder today, Al. Thank you. I loved thinking about Tess getting into your water. :) xoxo

By Freespirit On 2014.05.20 11:59
Love it!

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.05.20 13:33
Yes Jane I suffer under the delusion I'm in charge over Tess lol. Julie Tess does drink my water when she can get away with it. I caught her in the act one morning ...I pretended to be asleep after I hit the snooze alarm and She trotted in right up to the night stand poked her head over the mug and started to lap away! I don't know who's eyes were bugging out more, mine or hers when I said Tess??!!?? stop that! Such is life here it can keep you on your toes..

By Mary556 On 2014.05.23 23:58
thank you, Al!
and thank you, JulieB! (for those entries from your gratitude journal a few weeks ago)
Days go much better when one is counting blessings.
Sometimes I get distracted and need to be reminded.

Thank you, everyone who helps us here.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you