For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Best Undergarments for incontinence Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Trusting On 2014.06.01 22:26
A while back someone posted about a comfortable disposable underwear for men. I believe you might have ordered it on amazon but not sure. We have reached that stage and I want to be sure he stays comfortable. Thank you.

By jaxrock On 2014.06.02 09:49
Sad, isn't it? But, this is was has been working for my husband....
daytime, he uses Depends Real Fit briefs. I buy these from our grocery store.
nighttime, he wears Abena AbriFlex pullups, with an additional Reassure Pad inserted. I get these from HDIS..Their website is very complete....and their telephone customer service people are very helpful too. They've set up regular deliveries for me so I don't even have to worry about running out of supplies.
These are the only products that we have found that work for him....
Good Luck....

By umajane On 2014.06.02 15:38
My husband uses the exact 2 products and they work very well.

By carman96 On 2014.06.02 22:10
Sure wish my husband would wear them. When I do get him to wear one, the CVS mens briefs are a pretty good deal and work well. He usually ends up taking them off before they are even wet.
I have pads and waterproof bed pad, but still end up having to wash bedding frequently.

By Freespirit On 2014.06.03 08:17
HA HA, my goal is to invent a soft bubble that I can put my husband in at night where he can sleep soundly without the worry of incontinence, getting up and down though out the night or the worry of falling, etc
He can just roll around in this bubble all night, bounce off walls, or stop and rest in it, all without any fear of harming himself.
In the morning, we just pop the bubble, dress him, and start our day!
How many of you want in on the ground floor of my invention?
Actually, I don't think this is a new concept - wasn't there a movie back in the 70's about this?
:)

By Mary556 On 2014.06.03 11:51
Freespirit, you are funny!
... But how would we keep our bubble bouncers from peeing /pooping throughout the night ???
(could get awfully messy in there!)

By jsf On 2014.06.03 12:47
I will save the suggestions for undergarment protection since soon we'll probably need to use something more than Depends occasionally. But right now the big problem is just the opposite! He simply cannot urinate in the early morning, despite feeling great urgency. His bladder won't release. He'll be up from 4:30 to 6:30, standing in the bathroom with the urinal, warm water running in sink, warm towels over shoulders, under feet, something warm to drink. I've even turned up the heat, since he believes total body warmth will be the trigger. All this leads to frustration on his part, as you can imagine, and exhaustion on mine as I try to solve this. By about 8am, and after his 7am sinemet dose, he finally urinates. He does take sinemet at bedtime and around 2am, including long-acting. So increasing sinemet further seems unlikely to help, but we see his PD doc next week and will pursue that. We so hate to resort to catheters already. Do any of you have this issue?

By Freespirit On 2014.06.03 13:20
Ooops, Mary, I forgot a step!!
After popping the bubble, we must clean them up THEN dress them. . .
See, this is why I need help with this project. . .

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.06.03 13:39
jsf, What you say makes sense. P.D. in time has profound effects on our autonomic nervous system. (things that run on "automatic pilot") Stuff We don't have to think about doing like breathing, urinating, our blood pressure, vision, etc, etc.......So when you say that about an hour after his morning dose of Sinemet he can go makes sense in that the medication has started working and his bladder function is receiving proper signals to work.

An easier way I find to understand this is if We think of the brain as command center, it send out tiny electrical signals to our bodies to move and function. The signals are sent through nerves (think wires) these nerves connect forming circuits at the end of the nerves are gaps (spaces) synapse which are filled with a neuro-transmitter (think fuses in fuse box or circuit breaker) Dopamine fills the gap and lets the impulse/command pass on through to complete the action. Our P.D. brains can't make enough dopamine to function so We take Sinemet to replace the missing dopamine and complete the circuit to function properly. Some people don't get the full benefit from the long acting pill (and as it is time controlled releasing slowly the L-Dopa it releases smaller amounts which might not in your husbands case be enough for his bladder to work. until the next dose is taken and absorbed into his brain and system)

I hope I haven't lost you in my trying to explain what goes on in our bodies and brains. And I hope this helps make sense of what is going on. Great question! Hope this helps. Take care, best of luck and hang in there, Also welcome to the forum!

By carman96 On 2014.06.03 17:02
Free spirit, I'm in! I say we have a built in shop vac that empties into the toilet!

jsf, welcome to the forum. Sometimes my husband has a hard time going too. I always want him to try because if he goes back to bed he might wet in his sleep. Which would be fine if he would just use the diaper. It's always something with PD.
I would be sure to ask the doctor. Hope there is something they can do besides catheterization, which is pretty drastic.

By Trusting On 2014.06.03 23:28
I guess if we all get our heads together we could invent something to help. Sounds like a good project for all of us to do in our spare time. :)

Today was the first time my husband had an accident and couldn't feel it coming. Normally he's trying to get to the bathroom and just can't make it. My heart really ached for him because he was so embarrassed. Of course I assured him "it was no big deal" and we'll get through this one day at a time.

By Wislynn On 2014.06.30 15:40
I double up protection at night: Depends for men briefs + Tena for men. And have 2 rubber sheets on the bed. My husband has been on Trospium for about 6 months now, and I think it's effective about 50% of the time. I want to avoid an indwelling catheter at all costs until absolutely necessary. Any other ideas or meds that have been successful? Thanks.

By VioletV On 2015.10.13 20:01
Bump

By bksquared On 2015.10.14 00:19
Great useful information. Just visited hdis website. Found products and solutions to many daily living problems. Great to have your support on this journey. thanks

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you