For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic In the hospital Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jaxrock On 2014.06.05 10:26
Well, Monday night, my husband was taken by ambulance to the ER...and they admitted him to the hospital...he's still there........
He had been falling quite a bit, and took a good fall Monday....no broken bones, but, PD is moving right along..
I'm scared....don't know what the next steps are.....so far, the docs don't want him back at our home...saying it's not safe. So, I'll find out today after my meeting with his PCP what we are looking at....maybe rehab? ???
prayers and positive thoughts welcome..thank you

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.05 12:52
Thinking of you both. Wish we could give you a hug and tell you in person that things will be ok...All we can do is tell you that there are often several times throughout this disease when things look really bad, then something happens and we get a reprieve...I certainly hope so this time. Fingers crossed for you both. Please let us know how it goes today. Hugs, Jane

By Mary556 On 2014.06.05 13:36
Prayers for your husband and yourself, jaxrock.

By Witsend On 2014.06.05 15:04
Tons of prayers and thoughts today, jaxrock - it is true that things can go horribly wrong at times and then they will right themselves. We know how scary it is and how alone you can feel. Please feel our prayers and positive thoughts...Joni

By Trusting On 2014.06.05 21:14
I'm so glad your husband didn't have any broken bones. I'm hoping he can return home again soon. Prayers and blessings.

By carman96 On 2014.06.06 00:07
Sorry that happened. I hope he recovers well. I'm always afraid of my husband getting really hurt when he falls. Glad your guy didn't break anything.

By jaxrock On 2014.06.06 10:22
Thank you all for your kind words...
I'm transferring him today from hospital to rehab facility....not long term, as of now.
Our little pup can even visit him at the place.....that'll be very important for my husband....
When he comes home, he will have home health aids...THEN according to one doc, some palliative care from another institution here at the house.
It's a new journey...not easy at all, but I want the best for him always...
Docs all agree. it's balance - not the strength or lack of - in his legs...he just keeps getting pulled down by gravity....not good.....But, the rehab may help his legs work a bit better...hope so.
Again, thank you...I so appreciate your thougtfulness

By JulieB On 2014.06.06 11:29
Dear Jaxrock -- what a caring wife you are. I'm so glad your pup gets to visit your husband. Our dogs mean so much to my husband Michael too. May new strength and hope come to you both... xoxo

By jaxrock On 2014.06.06 19:14
well............he was not released from the hospital today.....they feel he needs more care there.......perhaps Monday he'll transfer to the rehab...perhaps not.
He is in so much pain....
I can't express the sorrow I feel watching my husband fail so rapidly.
Thank you for your thoughts and prayers....

By carman96 On 2014.06.08 10:37
Jaxrock, my heart goes out to you. Hopefully your husband can benefit greatly from rehab. It must be so difficult for you right now.
It must be a good facility if they let dogs visit.
Good luck and keep us posted.

By jaxrock On 2014.06.11 05:55
an update......my husband seems to be gaining some strength in the rehab facility.....
He is beginning to look more like himself, too.
Perhaps this crisis is over??
He'll be there for another 10 days or so...then hopefully can come home.. I'm sure he'll need some help when he gets here...but I'm so anxious to have him back!
Thanks to all for prayers and thoughts of support.....I'm so thankful.

By carman96 On 2014.06.11 09:59
I'm so glad he is doing well in rehab.

By Daybyday On 2014.06.11 14:56
We are all with you in spirit and praying for you and your DH. So many ups and downs with this journey we are all a part of. Try to stay strong.

By parkinit On 2014.06.17 23:34
Jaxrock-

Ahhh. The journey of the caregiver. You are an awesome person!! You sound so loving and supportive of your husband. He is lucky to have you for his beloved!! Hugs to both of you and a speedy recovery for your husband is in my prayers.

By jaxrock On 2014.07.11 09:32
After more than a month in a rehab facility, my husband is being "sent home" tomorrow...Saturday.
We are both scared...and nervous.
He'll now have a wheelchair, and a wider, stronger, walker.
A caregiver will assist us bringing him to the house.
His dementia has worsened...and more falls are certain, I'm sure.
It'll be him and me...and our pup at home...until I figure out exactly what type of in-home care he'll need...
I'm working in the dark right now..
Positive thoughts and prayers are welcome!

By VioletV On 2014.07.11 10:04
We are with you in spirit Jax--
Please do take care of yourself as well, as you transition to this new phase.

Something I've learned from my PWP husband is the phrase "the best is the enemy of the good," which I take to mean that sometimes there is no single BEST solution, and that we may need to select something that is "good-enough."

Please come back often for the support and validation that is here.

xoxo

VV

By jaxrock On 2014.07.11 10:54
thank you for that...Good Enough is fine for me!

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.11 13:23
Jax, take care of yourself. We all are with you tomorrow. Know that there are many who will listen in the time ahead...that's what is nice about forums like this???three hour time differences coast to coastmean that East Coasters can find someone late at night and we West Coasters can find someone online in our early morning...so, post when you need us. Take it one day at a time, that is all you can do. Hugs and good luck! Jane

By Mary556 On 2014.07.11 16:02
Continuing prayers for your husband and yourself, Jaxrock. especially tomorrow. Hoping it may be a smooth transition for both of you. I hope his confusions will decrease once he gets back to familiar surroundings.

Would a gait belt help in your situation? a couple of times I've been able to keep my Mom from falling when she had that on. It is best to get the longer length belt so there is enough to tie a knot after it is fastened; the gripper teeth alone are not enough to keep it from loosening.

My mother fell (without apparent injury) last week, then had some other complications and landed in the hospital for four days. We expected her to be discharged to home but they said she was not strong enough. Mom has been in a rehab facility the last three days. She is very disoriented and not able to communicate very well at all. the emotional upset and sudden decisions have been hard on my Dad. Usually I try not to cry, but lately it is more difficult. I want to be strong for my folks. Please pray for us, too? I will keep praying for you all.

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.11 16:35
Mary, you are a good and honorable daughter. May you find the peace and solace you need in the coming weeks and months. Be strong and be proud...your Mom raised a good daughter! Hugs, Jane

By Mary556 On 2014.07.11 22:20
Thank you, Jane. I am very blessed to have the parents that I do.
Peace be with you, too!

By moonswife On 2014.07.12 21:34
Jaxrock, hope today has gone smoothly. My husband fell five days ago, while I was at work. He too was hospitalized. I had such strong suspicion of UTI that I had scheduled Dr visit for 3 pm. When calls at 11 and 11 30 went unanswered I left office and drove home to find him on floor of bathroom. He had weakness upon standing up, fell to floor and waited until I got home. I used an ambulance also, and he was admitted by ER doctor. Stayed and IV antibiotics, phosphorous, etc brought him to the level they discharged him yesterday with indwelling cath. Saw at least 4 grains of kidney stone that had broken up. Felling better already.
Thank God for friends and family and the AWARE IN CARE KIT. Used those papers to get that Rx on time more than once. As soon as they figured out I would give a set of PD pills if they were 20 minutes late they started being on time. They say "it takes a village to raise a child"....I say lately it "takes a battalion to keep this good man healthy".
Bless you in your husbands continued improvement, and your stamina.

By carman96 On 2014.07.12 22:02
Jaxrock, hope everything is going ok so far. I'm sure you are glad he is home.
Mary and moonswife, hope your PWP's are doing better. I guess none of us knows what tomorrow will bring.
Hang in there everyone.

By jaxrock On 2014.07.17 08:45
My husband came home Saturday, we're trying to get back to "normal", whatever that may be...
Yes, I love the "it takes a battalion..." line.....made me smile...
So true, so true...
Cheers to all!

By moonswife On 2014.07.17 23:48
Good news, I hope you are managing. Are there neighbors,friends, family, etc. helping? I have learned if someone offers, accept! It is better than exhausting yourself so much you are useless to hubby and to yourself.
My husband's UTI is improved but damn the OCD stuff. The four year old grandchild living here caught him on a 10 ft ladder at 8 this morning /@*?%#. Do I want to nurse his broken hip? Nope. Do the garage eaves need to be finished this week, month, summer.....? Nope. Could we have it done? Sure. But why when it provides a project/obsession for him to conquer. Enough tonight. Bless you all for reading this.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you