For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Wheel chairs Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2014.06.09 10:46
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions about wheelchairs. My husband uses a walker but tires easily. I was thinking about a light weight wheelchair that he could push and when he gets tired I could push him. Any suggestions about what I should look for?

By dans316 On 2014.06.09 13:12
I got a Rollator chair or Rolling Walker for my wife 3 years ago. It is so much easier to handle getting it in and out of the car. She's never used it as a walker and I'm not sure how much support a Rollator would afford someone with balance issues as it is pushed in front of the user and the seat prohibits someone from moving into the walker for extra support.

Dan

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.06.09 13:17
LC have you discussed this with His doctors? Most want patients to stay as mobile, walking, canes, crutches, balance dogs for as long as possible before going to wheelchairs and thus becoming dependent upon them. Even walking pushing one the temptation to just sit and get pushed to get through a store or walk faster become relying on one more and more of the time and the patient gets less and less exercise. Also pushing one along he won't have the use of brakes like many walkers provide. I would strongly suggest talking this out with His doctors before implementing it on your own. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By dans316 On 2014.06.09 13:25
Al,
Just wanted to add that the Rollator does have brakes, dual purpose, they can either brake or be used to lock the wheels.

Dan

By Mary556 On 2014.06.09 14:32
My father was given an Invacare rollator following heart surgery about ten years ago. He likes it very much. Dad has additional mobility and balance issues in recent years due to severe arthritis in his ankle. He uses the rollator for walking outdoors and then rests on the comfortable seat. It is good and sturdy. On my father's model (65851) there is a warning label which says not to use this as a wheelchair or transport device.

My PWP Mom sometimes uses a lightweight transport wheelchair instead of her walker when she goes to church or a medical appointment (on days when she is not so steady). My mother's wheelchair weighs less than the rollator.

I believe that Medicare covers the cost of one mobility device every five years if it is requisitioned by a health care provider.

By carman96 On 2014.06.10 00:21
My husband has quite a few assistive devices, including a rollator. It's getting him to use it that's the problem.
Last year I got a lightweight transport wheelchair for long distances. He can only walk so far before his legs give out. I can easily lift it out of the car and push him in it. Don't use it often but it really is needed at times. The person who is pushing it controls the brakes.
If it's one you want him to be able to use himself, they are quite a bit heavier.
The advice I got from a friend is to buy the cheaper wheelchairs, scooters etc, and make Medicare pay for the very expensive electric wheelchair if it is needed in the near future, since they won't pay for both.

By dans316 On 2014.06.10 10:10
I got June the Rollator because she was having problems with freezing. Thought with the Rollator she would have a seat to sit down at least, but she liked the walker more. Strange coincidence? Just got a letter from the company who makes the Rollator we have, they are being recalled because of a problem with the folding mechanism which might lead to the chair collapsing while in use.:(

Dan

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.06.10 16:18
Again, run these assistive devices by the Doctors. While I know it can be hard to get around with P.D. (I've been living with it, it seem like forever being diagnosed in 1986.) and I can only imagine how hard it is to watch a loved one struggle walking with it. But like everything else with caring for one with this disease don't do or take over doing things too soon. We patients have to do as much as we can for ourselves as we can for as long as we can. That includes at times struggling to maintain our mobility.

Many times exercise is brought up on here, patients needing to go to the gym, seniors groups, daycare for exercise classes but don't want to and how to motivate them to go? These are tough topics and to introduce too early a wheel chair may cause premature reliance on using one. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not scolding or accusing anyone of this! I'm merely saying involve the Doctor in this and your concerns about mobility of your loved one. In conclusion here, We have Parkinson's Disease and with it comes reduced mobility, be it in range or balance. It comes with Our disease and if one thinks about it it is unrealistic to expect Us to be able to walk as long without a rest or getting tired as we did pre-disease. We cannot do laps around the mall, We have to stop more often grab on to catch our balance. We will freeze and have to get started again.

We patients have our bodies slowly betray Us every day more and more while You our caregivers have to stand by and watch helplessly. But We fight each day to keep a little of what's left and to Us it's worth the struggle. It is a battle every waking moment and we so appreciate your help and stead fullness in our fight. Again I hope no one gets offended I'm speaking in a generalization here and to or about NO ONE (and I can't stress that fact enough) Please for the sake of 10 more yards or 5 less minutes getting somewhere, please don't help Parkinson's Disease take our legs, dignity or self worth before it is time for Us each as Individuals to concede it. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.10 18:37
I totally agree with you, Al. I have far less mobility with the lymphedema in my left leg, so when I see Carl less mobile, or slowing down the pace, it is easy for me to understand. There are times when my leg, even in compression stockings, swells and fills with lymph fluid, making it so painful and making me sluggish. If we are out shopping or just even walking in the house, Carl notices and slows down for me...it is no problem for me to do the same for him.

I think you often hit the nail on the head, Al...As caregivers, we simply want to help...but, we often want that which we no longer can have...the same person he/she once was. So, we try to find ways to help make him/her that way...But, as I have said before, I think what we all need to do is realize that *we* are no longer as we once were...and live our lives as best we can. As we are nearing the end of our 47th year of marriage and our 49th year of closeness, we both agree that while our lives at times have been unbearably sad, so have they been full of joy...and we would only change one thing that of course we cannot have...our daughter back in our lives...Other than that, PD cannot take our love...it can push it to the back...it can silence the words...but, PD cannot take "us"...that is something that took 49 years to build upon...

Back on target...I agree that the doctor needs to be involved...and, in my MIL's journey, she did not once use a wheelchair and she climbed up and down the 18 stairs daily...she refused to give in, even when we all thought she should...to each his own, but do ask your doctor...trust in his wisdom, for, sadly, I am sure he has heard all of this before...Good luck in your decision...Hugs and love to everyone! Jane

By carman96 On 2014.06.12 09:24
I do think walking is a great exercise. And it's not about how long it takes to get there. He can walk a few stairs at times. But it's about the fact that his legs just totally give out on him and if he doesn't sit down he will fall. The problem with the walker is he just can't get the hang of it and uses it all wrong, and most of the time will refuse to use it. His doctor wants him to continually have PT and do exercises at home. But she says safety first, and she prefers he use a walker and a wheelchair if necessary. He also has terrible back pain and that doesn't help. The Dr. told him if he falls and breaks something, he won't be sleeping at home.
And that is the great fear, isn't it?

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.06.12 19:02
Sometimes when I answer or point out about well like this topic wheel chairs I will generalize and bring up stuff to be considered before getting an aid like a wheel chair. I don't do this because I am trying to find fault or point fingers. I do it because many people read this forum and don't post or sign in. Some are probably very early in the disease or just diagnosed, hence my caution to always run things by the Doctor. And my advice of not rushing it to intervene or to have unrealistic expectations. You the forum are my friends and family, you talk to the Neurologists and Doctors about problems, expectations and quality of life. Medications and side-effects of medication, so please my friends don't think I'm preaching to You or talking about any particular person when like above I talk about how We will tire easier and can't push as far as We once did because it is part of having the Disease Parkinson's. Also that's why I try to always remind to run it past the Medical personal handing Our loved ones.

By carman96 On 2014.06.13 10:13
Very true Al. If we have a good doc that listens and we trust, we should always consult with them about these things. If not get a new doc. That's what they are there for, right?

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you