For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Intro and question on falls Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By gram2 On 2014.06.15 11:30 [Edit]
I've been lurking for a while and am impressed by the amount of useful info to be found here. However, no one seems to have the problems I do getting my PWP to his feet after a fall. Because of issues with both a knee and arm on one side, he can't get to a position on his knees where it would be easier to help him up. Although he has lost a lot of weight, I cannot lift him even when he gets to a sitting position on the floor. Does anyone here have experience with Hoyer type lifts or those mattress type devices that inflate to raise someone off the floor? Any other bright ideas about devices/techniques for a person with limited strength to get someone off the floor? Any/all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By VioletV On 2014.06.15 16:27
Hello and welcome!

There is a book/video series from John Argue that includes graduated exercises for people with Parkinsons. One of the early sets includes an exercise designed to teach a PWP to use a chair to help stand from the floor.

This is the kind of think that a PT can help with, if you have access to one.

Good luck.

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.15 17:30
Hi, Gram, and welcome.

My husband, Carl, has PD. He was referred to and completed LSVT, which is physical therapy specifically for PWP. It is given by a physical therapist who has been trained in it and is given four days a week for six weeks. My husband does the exercises for about 45 minutes each night, along with weights and cardio walking. *He has a new neurologist who stresses a LOT of activity all the time for as long as possible.*

That said, I don't think this is the immediate kind of training you need or strength training your husband needs. However, the therapist is also one for occupational sports, and he sent us a brochure offering free classes in the very thing for which you are looking...strengthening muscles to pull up from the floor, ways to pull oneself up, etc...So, I would suggest that you search for a sports or occupational therapist and explain your needs.

My MIL received several weeks of exercises from a local hospital, too...they showed her how to get up from the floor, out of bed, pull up from the toilet....all through Medicare that might be available in your area, too...she was in NC, we are in CA.

As always, I would suggest you ask your husband's doctor first. In just two visits with his new neurologist we have had three major referrals for LSVT, Tai Chi, and strength/weight training...all specific to PWP. We come here for help and suggestions, but always ask the neurologist before starting anything...

Again, welcome. Remember, none of us are doctors, we just offer advice as to what has or has not worked for us...hope you find good advice here...others will have great suggestions! Jane ;)

By carman96 On 2014.06.16 09:38
Welcome Gram2,
I don't have any info about Hoyer lifts or anything like that. Some others here have had experience with that. But I have had problems helping my husband up after a fall. Sometimes we have to rest for a couple minutes while he regains enough strength and we can both work at getting him up. I am 62 and in good health. But it is difficult to help another person get up, unless you are really strong.
Jane has a good idea about having someone like a physical or occupational therapist help with techniques. Our O.T. has helped us with things like getting up and down in bed, getting in and out of the car, etc. But somehow I haven't thought of asking for help getting him up after a fall. Of course the best thing would be to not have any falls!
Please tell us more about how long your husband has had PD, etc.
Someone in the group will have had experience with what you are going through at any given time, unfortunately.

By carman96 On 2014.06.16 09:44
Violet, somehow I didn't see your post until after I had posted. The book you mentioned is probably a good idea also.

By moonswife On 2014.06.16 10:22
Gram2,
Your problem describes Moonman perfectly. But he is 6'5" tall and I am 18 inches shorter. With the knee and shoulder a problem, I have him position bad knee on pillow or thickly folded towel. Using the good shoulder only, after I have positioned the different apparatus we own close to him, (wheel chair, walker, heavy kitchen stool) he uses his good arm and leg to kind of "stair" raise himself up. Have done it many, many, many nights. I have looked at hoyer lift, and have a hoyer belt. I think if I can find a used one I will invest in one. One other thing we have done is put 36" grab bars perpendicular so that he can walk his way up the wall, if he is home alone. Tub "no fall grip strips" help his hands from sliding. There is one or two bars near each doorway. I think about 23 in the house now.

By Mary556 On 2014.06.16 12:17
Greetings, Gram. I'm glad you asked this question since I've been wondering something similar myself. It is helpful to read the answers you are receiving. My dear Mom is our PWP. Her legs have collapsed a few times and she is too weak to get up again; my Dad and I are not strong enough to lift her. A few months ago we ended up calling our police department non-emergency number to ask for a "lift assist". A team of professionals quickly arrived to to help my mother up, take vital signs and assess whether further assistance was needed. They were great. There was no fee. We were told not to hesitate to call them again, multiple times in the same day if need be.
Would most towns have a similar service??

By gram2 On 2014.06.16 12:28 [Edit]
I can see I didn't provide enough info. Hubby broke hip about 6 mo. ago and has been through the full allotment of OT/PT. He cooperated with therapist but is not a selfstarter or eager to do exercises on his own. The hip is fine but he uses a walker since he tends to fainting spells when his bp drops (he's on meds to raise bp). PK dr. has essentially said there is nothing more she can do for him. He is elderly (think 80s) but I'm not ready to give up on him. I'll give the "Moonman Method" a try next time around if I can avoid going into panic mode. But I'm not going to get any stronger either so do need to find the most usable form of mechanical help. Just saw Mary's post. Wow, is she lucky! In our area the rescue squad is the only choice and they frown on non-emergency calls. Also we live in the middle of nowhere which doesn't help!

By parkinit On 2014.06.17 23:09
Gram2

I use a Hoyer lift. Several months ago, several people tried to talk me into trading it in for a sit to stand device. It is great to assist standing and transferring, but doesn't help with retrieving our DHs when they have slipped or fallen. I have used the Hoyer many times (4 times in one week a few months back) to pick my spouse up off the floor. In the past, he insisted I assist and not use Hoyer to transfer him. This is when he would slip out of my arms and slide to the floor. I would gently lower him to the floor, place a pillow under his head and retrieve the Hoyer lift. The sling must be placed under your DH's body, but that is doable for most people of reasonable strength and flexibility. If you have health issues that hinder you from getting on the floor and turning your spouse over then This is not the device for you.

We use it all the time now to transfer him everywhere except the toilet. That is a two-person job. No way around it. They do make disks that rotate easily to help in rotating the body around for a transfer, though, in this circumstance.

By jsmitch On 2014.06.18 11:52
Gram2--

My apologies: Your login was accidentally removed from the system this morning during the process of removing spammer logins. Please re-register using the same login information.

Regret the inconvenience.

Jim

By gram2 On 2014.06.21 11:32
Thanks, parkinit! I didn't realize I was accidentally blocked out of this site and thought no one except me had this problem! There seem to be dozens of different models out there, some of which are NOT suitable for anyone who is prone. I actually asked his primary dr. about them and he claimed they are only for use in institutional settings - which I know is wrong! I can get down on the ground but not strong enough to lift him. What model do you have?

By jsmitch On 2014.06.22 10:38
Welcome back Gram2! Again, my apologies for the inconvenience.

Jim

By parkinit On 2014.07.05 01:26
Sorry for the delayed respond. I use a invacare reliant 450.

By gram2 On 2014.07.05 11:01
Thanks, parkinit! There's so much stuff out there that it's hard to know where to begin. And they don't exactly have showrooms where you can see and try the equipment before you buy. I don't mind making mistakes on cheaper items but need to move more cautiously on these pricey pieces.

By parkinit On 2014.07.07 10:04
Gram -

It has two interchangeable batteries so you always have one charging while the other is being used. The batteries last a long time in the unit - I'm guessing about a month with frequent, daily use. Ours includes a three point Hoyer lift pad as well, which I think is just a bit better than the two point (nylon hoops to connect to the the pad to the unit) pads.

I don't know what I would do without it. My hubby used to say, "I'll never use that!" Well, when it came down to it, he understands that he doesn't use it for HIM, he uses it for me. I can't help him transfer otherwise. It came down to the point (and there was some standoffs when he INSISTED I would transfer him solo) where my spouse slid out of my arms 4 times in a week while I was trying to transfer him and I had to Hoyer lift him off the floor. He finally acquiesced and there is no longer the disdain in his voice when we get the lift out to aid him with transfers. He understands . . . now . . . that without it, he would be bed bound.

By gram2 On 2014.07.08 11:08
The Hoyer is sounding better all the time altho I'm still dithering/comparison shopping. He goes along just fine for a while and I get complacent, but I know he's going to collapse again one of these days and I'll regret it if I don't take the expensive plunge.

By parkinit On 2014.07.09 20:44
A Hoyer lift is considered durable medical equipment if you have medicare, too.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you