For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Stairs and Animals - What we did. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By ChiefsWife On 2014.06.19 17:54
We have two sets of 14 stairs, steep ones, two big dogs and 3 cats. We had this idea when my elderly (Parkinson's with balance issues) mother would come to visit for a week at a time. We trained our dogs (the cats are still deadly! lol) to sit at the top of the stairs with "wait" as a command and a left hand (if available) held to our side, palm out toward them. When we arrive at the bottom we give the "OK" release and they run on down. My handy PWP husband also had the great idea to install another handrail on the opposite side of the stairs. Both ideas have been a real life saver for us on numerous occasions. Just FYI.

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.19 18:30
We don't have animals now that the kids are adults, but in the same vein...My inlaws had an upstairs bedroom and in the later stages of her PD, she was a Sundowner, so my husband and my FIL installed a childproof gate at both the top and the bottom of the stairs...She had before installation wandered and they were afraid of falls...the one at the bottom kept her from trying to head up the stairs by herself...she got "bored" easily! lol

By laylee7 On 2014.07.01 12:55
I like this idea. We live in a two story home and have to go up 11 steps to the main level. (It is a walk in basement) We had been considering getting a chair lift installed. Has anyone done this? I think for now I will have a second hand rail put in for peace of mind. Thanks

By ResistanceFutil On 2014.07.01 21:16
We briefly rented a house that had a chair lift. It worked quite well for two non-PWPs, one of which probably weighed 250 pounds.

I have read in some PD literature that stairs are something most PWP can manage even as their ability to walk deteriorates (kind of like dancing or riding a bike). You might wait to see how it goes.

By parkinit On 2014.07.05 01:47
Stairs are in our home and we used a chairlift for5 years. Now my spouse is confined to downstairs as his health continues to deteriorate.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you