For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic A New Goal Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By umajane On 2014.06.22 22:47
In the last few months my husband sold all his "toys". He can no longer ride his motorcycles or scooter and then sadly we sold our pick up truck and travel trailer.. He was really getting down and as I watched him sleep and watch TV I realized that maybe I could drive an RV.
He has a new lease on life just looking at RV'S. He is reading brochures and is so excited.
Of course we have to adjust and I will have to do mostly everything BUT we will drive to campgrounds and the beach where he can take small walks and interact with people. Even if it us just for a year or two we want to take advantage of every day and we need to get out of the house. Just thought I would share something positive after a lot is sadness.

By HangingOn On 2014.06.23 06:39
Awesome! We would drive to family and share the driving. We cannot afford to fly with him not working and me staying at home to be with him. I too had an epiphany that I could drive. So now I take to the road visiting family, sometimes 3 days away.

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.23 14:47
Jane, must be something about being on the open road! Carl is still driving, so we haven't gone the RV route...except that we made the 12 hour trip to Disney in one we rented.

I have a dear friend who goes RVing all the time...there are several good groups you might want to investigate...she and her husband meet up with several others at different locations...some are in good health, others are not, but she is always saying how much fun it is...and how just sitting around a campfire brings back memories...and often times she talks about how the group can get discounts on museums, parks, etc...she just took a daylong train ride and raved about it...been 30 years since she was on a train!

Have fun! What a great idea for the future. Jane

By Wislynn On 2014.06.30 15:43
We take short road trips, 2-3 nights at the most. What I find frustrating is finding places to have my husband use the rest room where I can accompany him. Some places (like state rest stops) have "family" restrooms, and that's perfect. But those are hard to find. Especially if he has soaked his Depends and needs changing. How do you handle this? Thanks.

By moonswife On 2014.06.30 22:36
Now do not laugh. I was at my wits end too so finally I took the handicapped placard off the rear view mirror, taped it to his back and took him in the ladies room. The first dirty look I got, I gently turned him, pointed and they apologized. You do what you have to do.

By Wislynn On 2014.07.01 17:30
Thanks, moonswife! I would have never thought of that. I would think that women would be more understanding than me trying to accompany my husband into the men's room. It's certainly worth a try!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you