For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Reality check Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By HangingOn On 2014.06.28 10:51
Saw a friend and they asked how my PWP was doing? They saw him recently after only a month from the last time and said they noticed a big difference. I explained it has not been a good month for them. They then in an attempt to help (I guess), told me that things are only going to get worse. They have been reading about it and I have a rough road ahead. I need to prepare myself for helping dress and so on. I need to learn to do household things on my own. That I would be eventually by myself! Wow! I know that is a reality check, but I felt terrible after visiting them and still do. I have always known that, but never let it get me down...now I keep thinking of what they said.

By lurkingforacure On 2014.06.28 18:24
What kind of "friends" are these? It's not like we dont' have the internet that can tell us everything and more about anything on the planet 24 hours a day, 7 days a week! Some people, sheesh.

I am sorry your friends felt it was their place to give you this advice. While they were espousing their knowledge about PD, did they also offer to help you with your looming load ahead? THAT would be a friend.

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.28 21:15
GREAT response, Lurking! I heartily agree!

We all can read the horror stories, but my MIL was a gem and we use her as a beacon in all things PD.

Don't give up hope. Don't dwell on what might happen, because life has a way of not being what we expect.

Have a great weekend. Jane

By Trusting On 2014.06.28 23:30
Sheesh!!! It sounds like you have friends like Job from the Bible had. Please do yourself a favor and stay away from these people as much as possible. You need encouraging people around you. I'm so sorry that you had to endure that on top of everything else you have to do. Blessings to you.

By HangingOn On 2014.06.29 18:50
Thank you for the positive thoughts. I know I what possible scenarios are ahead, as you said I have internet. I also know that the friends or family that would be willing to assist live nowhere near me. I am on my own, and I guess that is why the words said to me hit so hard. Thank you for understanding.

By jcoff012 On 2014.06.29 19:40
HangingOn, your name says it all...keep hanging on...

One big lesson I learned early in life is that the saying about someone, somewhere has it worse than you..is true! Whenever I get down, I remember that...

No one wants to watch the ravages of PD, but remember that someone somewhere else is suffering, too...AND, remember that somewhere someone is rejoicing, too! Turn that lesson of sadness to one of hope and joy...not every day is sad or lonely...some are surprisingly lovely...

Have a good cry if you need it. Take a long walk or drive when you can. Be angry. Be tired...but, also, try to be happy...find something that makes you feel good. Makes you laugh...Had yet another doctor tell me that just last Thursday...laugh EVERY day!

I promise...if you reach out to others here, someone, or many, will help you. Not everyone responds to every post. But, someone out there will read your post, see themselves in your shoes, and will tell you so. As I said, no one wants to be in this group, but we are...and we are here for each other.

Comment often. Perhaps you can offer help to someone else sometime. Everyone in this journey is alone, but as odd as it sounds, we can be alone together.

And, as I am prone to say...Call your doctor or your neurologist...they work FOR you...you deserve good, strong answers...get them...you won't be sorry.

Hugs and love to you and yours...we are all here...Jane

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you