For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Benefits question Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By HangingOn On 2014.07.01 15:52
I no longer work and stay with PWP. I do not feel comfortable leaving him alone. We are struggling to make ends meet without my income. Is there any subsidy that would pay me so I can stay home with him? Even a little would help?

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.01 16:15
I am babysitting by myself today (Carl is visiting a friend who had two strokes and fell down two flights of stairs over the weekend), so I have to admit I have not researched a lot on this...However, go to is a document that includes information and a phone number to call for assistance...looks like there WAS a fund for caregivers, but I cannot find out if it still exists...looks like it depends on your state...I am sorry I cannot look into this more right now, but wanted you to know that I did a quick search under caregiver subsidies in Google....Let us know how you do...Hugs, Jane

By JulieB On 2014.07.02 08:14
Dear Hangingon, Is your husband a veteran? If so, there are benefits for him from the VA. And has he applied for Social Security Disability yet? You might also call your county social services department and just ask if anyone there knows how to direct you -- tell them your story. Sorry if these are dead ends for you.... will keep thinking on this. xo Julie

By mylove On 2014.07.02 09:15
Long ago my ex husband was in a serious accident and could not care for himself. I had to quit work to caregive for him. At that time, there was a provision for family caregivers through DSHS. I don't know if it still exists. It wasn't a lot, but we were able to get by.

By HangingOn On 2014.07.02 19:26
Thanks for the info. I will keep checking.

By Mary556 On 2014.07.02 22:43
HangingOn, if you do a Yahoo and/or Google search for "family caregiver compensation" you may find some more options. I believe I've read about such a program but do not remember details.
God bless you and your PWP.

By HangingOn On 2014.07.03 10:20
I have been searching online and will continue, but a lot of the programs state for people 60 and older, which my PWP is not.

By mylove On 2014.07.03 22:52
It may have changed. He was 32, and injured severely enough to be considered 'disabled', and that was the criteria then.

By parkinit On 2014.07.05 01:49
Has he applied for disability? My husband was first denied, but he appealed and was approved for disability.

By HangingOn On 2014.07.07 13:41
He get SS disability, but without my income it is hard

By parkinit On 2014.07.07 14:18
Also, maybe you should be thinking of creative "subsidies." Such as, does your community offer a food bank, clothing? These can be ways you can possibly save your own money for other expenses. Our community has a huge facility that provides food, clothing, personal care products for those unable to make ends meet. It is income based, of course. I hope you have a similar facility in your community that could be helpful to you.

States each have their own programs, but also there are "agencies for the aging" that are supported by DHS which provides for an allowance to hire caregivers for your spouse while you shop, run errands, etc. Check with your local DHS.

By VioletV On 2014.07.07 17:04
I don't know if this will help, but if your PWP also has a brain-injury, history of brain injury, you may be able to make a case for support from your state's brain injury department.

In addition, there is a wonderful organization called Modest Needs that MAY be able to offer some focused support for your family.

Good luck. PD is awful under any circumstance. PD and financial pressure is just too difficult.


© · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by
by people like you