For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic PD? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Michele On 2014.07.02 02:04
As I have written before my Dad has PD. My stepmother has multiple meyloma. She is staying with her daughter now. Things aren't looking good. I'm staying with my Dad. My question is about his differing take on this. Sometimes he is very worried, at times he thinks she's staying away because she's mad at him. After telling him how bad she was today he asked if they said anything about coming by the house. She couldn't even get out of bed or dress herself today. Is it the PD keeping him confused?

By JulieB On 2014.07.02 08:11
Hello Michele, You have a lot on your plate and everyone here understands. Not everyone experiences confusion with Parkinson's, but to have a dementia component with the disease is fairly common. If you have time to google it, you could try reading about PDD -- Parkinson's Disease with Dementia. My husband was diagnosed with PD in 2004 but didn't exhibit any confusion or dementia-like symptoms for years. Now the dementia part is what has come to the forefront in our daily lives. So to answer your question, yes, his PD could be a factor in his confusion. Be sure you talk to his neurologist about this too. I'm sure others will share on this thread too. In the meantime, try to reassure him as best you can. Hugs to you today, Michele.... Julie xo

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.07.02 08:56
Michelle, They used to say that dementia with P.D. was around 50% now it's said probably around 25% the difference is now more and more of the medical field realize confusion, forgetfulness, loss of executive function can result from medicinal side effects. (as can compulsive behavior). Also infections can cause cloudy thinking and to a non- professional seem like dementia. Age can be related, as Julie said please consult with his doctors and express your concerns

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you