For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic excessive sweating Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2014.07.11 02:09
Don't know if this has come up before. Does anyone else have a PWP that sweats excessively, especially at night? My husband is just drenched sometimes and has to change his t shirt and underwear several times a night. The waterproof pad I have under him seems to make it worse.
Don't know if it's PD or not, but he didn't seem to have this problem before PD.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.07.11 08:35
carman, Yes, sweating is common with Parkinson's Disease and by sweating I mean profusely, buckets of sweat. It is one of the reasons it is so important that we keep hydrated and should be watched for dehydration year round and doubly so in hot humid weather. Our internal thermostats are effected by the disease and we don't read and regulate body tem right (this is a function of our automatic nervous system like seeing, breathing and controlling blood pressure).

By carman96 On 2014.07.11 09:09
Thanks Al. Is this why my husband feels cold sometimes when it is over 80 degrees in the house? It's been hot here, 95 to 98 degrees outside. My husband keeps turning off the fans. I want him to be comfortable but boy I'm hot!
I guess there's nothing that can help the sweating, but yeah, buckets of sweat is right.

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.11 13:15
Thank you both for posting this! I am always too hot because he wants to turn up the ac and turn off the ceiling fans...been through menopause, so I was beginning to wonder...I will watch for dehydration...good advice!

By makrivah On 2014.07.12 00:13
I didn't know this either. His internal thermostat is off, I knew that but didn't tie it to the PD. THANKS yet again.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.07.12 08:59
carman, It could very well be the reason he's turning the fans off saying he feels cool in this hot weather.

By Mary556 On 2014.07.12 09:50
My PWP feels cold when there is a draft on her, either from a fan or breeze through a nearby window. We put a lightweight towel over her when she is bothered by this in the summertime.
She also is bothered by sweating, usually late in the evening. She asks me to touch her shirt so I can see it is soaked. It is, but I thought it might be from drooling. Thank you for validating my mother's complaint.

A few weeks ago Violet recommended a book, *The Parkinson's Disease Treatment Book* by J. Eric Ahlskog, Ph.D. M.D. There is a link on this page:
http://www.myparkinsons.org/parkinsons-disease-books.shtml

Dr Ahlskog gives a similar explanation. He used the term "nocturnal diaphoresis" for nighttime sweating and said this can happen during the transition from L-dopa on-state to off-state. "The most effective treatment strategy is to improve levodopa coverage during the night, as outlined above; however this may not be consistently effective..."

(If it is improper to include a quote from someone's copyrighted book, someone please tell me to remove it?)

Best wishes and prayers for all of our PWPs and caregivers.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you