For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Take care of YOU, too... Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.15 15:28
Friends and those new to caregiving, a word of advice...we have said it before, but in these last few weeks and months, I have learned that taking care of me/YOU is extremely important. Better to handle it now, than risk the possibility of problems later, when you are needed most...

I have finally finished a battery of tests, visits with four different doctors, numerous blood, urine, etc. tests...now, I need to take care of a few minor problems before they become major problems..but, the peace of mind is immense...

HOWEVER, my husband has been having a lot of tremors from the stress of waiting rooms and test results...and, for the first time in eight years, they were about ME, not him...MY blood pressure went sky high seeing his tremors ramp up! Vicious circle...after I was taken out of the room and into surgery, my bp dropped 40... Yes, 40 points!

So, simple advice...take care of yourself to avoid all of this stress...hugs, Jane

And, yes, I tested ok...but need to exercise more vigorously...which will help me to carve out time for myself! Gotta watch my sugar!

By carman96 On 2014.07.15 23:34
Glad your tests came out okay Jane! Very important for us caregivers to stay as healthy as possible.
Turns out losing 50 pounds and exercising regularly solved all of my health problems. Blood pressure, blood sugar, acid reflux, cholesterol. Even my asthma is manageable now.
Everyone, take care of yourselves!

By JulieB On 2014.07.17 12:50
I'm so glad all your tests are behind you and you're feeling peace, Jane. We all know we should be taking care of ourselves, but doing it is harder than saying it when our PWP's needs are so intense. I'm just now getting accustomed to doing some things for myself again, and it feels odd, good and sad. So many mixed feelings go along with caregiving, and relinquishing the caregiving. I think Carl is blessed to have you. xoxo

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.17 13:53
I think we are all lucky to have found each other. As Al has said, twenty five years ago, when my MIL was first diagnosed with PD, there was so little information, little hope, and nothing like this forum...Thank you to Al, Steve, Dan, and all of the beautiful souls here that are fighting the good fight...we are all in this together...Love to you all, Jane

By mylove On 2014.07.23 09:11
I'm SO glad you got through this with a clean bill of health, Jane. ((((Hugs)))). It is terribly stressful, for both of you! We seem to bounce from health crisis to health crisis at our house. We like to say we just take turns! (In fact I meant to post this earlier but I've been doing a weight loss challenge with a group of gals that tipped me over into a bout of kidney stones! So much for doing things to try to improve our own health! Lol)

But seriously....I'm so glad to have the privilege to know people on this board. You have all become friends, and we can never have too many of those.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you