For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Going to Maui! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2014.07.19 09:57
Well we are going to Maui from California on Monday. We are taking our friend Steve to help us.
I found a handicap accessible condo so hopefully that will be nice.
Any suggestions for making the airport, airplane easier?

By dans316 On 2014.07.19 11:45
Carman,

I don't know how to make this reply green, but I am green with envy:) Hope you have a wonderful time. Don't forget the Hula Pie.

Me Ke Aloha
Dan

By carman96 On 2014.07.19 15:45
Mahalo Dan. Just learned there is a tropical depression headed to the Big island and Maui. That should make things interesting!

By jcoff012 On 2014.07.19 17:29
Carman, I, too, am jealous! Hula pie all around!
My advice is to taj
Ke your time and TELL the flight attendants about PD...they were extremely helpful and kind to us last year...Have theBES t time for all of us! Hugs, Jane

By formydad2014 On 2014.07.19 19:45
We just went on a family trip to Hawaii back in May.
We took a transport chair for my dad and that really helped, as we flew out of SFO and it was a lot of waking. It also got us through security faster. We told the gate attendants that he needed extra time and we were first to board (even before the families with kids).
I did make sure to book my mom and dad seats near the lavatory, in case he needed to go and was having trouble moving.
If you do take a transport chair (your own, not the airports), you can ask them to stow it on board if it folds small enough. They are easily damaged in the cargo hold. You can also just call ahead to the airline and arrange for a wheelchair at the airport only. They will take you curbside to gate and vice versa if you need it.
Aloha!

By Mary556 On 2014.07.20 07:47
Happy for you and yours, Carman. Hope you all have a great time!

By carman96 On 2014.07.20 09:43
Thanks everyone. We are taking a wheelchair with us. I guess my biggest concern is going through security. Last time they made him walk through the metal detector thing even though he was in a wheelchair. He can't communicate very well and they won't let me help him. The airline people are great but the TSA is so strict and unhelpful.
I'm sure everything will be fine but I admit to being a nervous traveler. I have to keep telling myself to remain calm!
I had to get him a senior ID card from the state but luckily that came in time.
So I think we are good to go.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you