For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Caregiver group Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2014.08.07 08:16
Our county finally started a caregiving group through area agency on aging. It's not for Parkinson's but for chronic illnesses. Stroke, Alzheimer's and a neurological disease. I could relate to what everyone was saying. Seems we all have about the same concerns whatever the disease. Of course I started crying almost from the start.
It is run by a husband and wife team, and they are very experienced. The man told me my stress levels are so high I am headed for cardiac arrhythmia. They had us do breathing techniques which seemed to help, so I need to remember to do them at home. I have a tendency to hold by breath then breathe too fast.
He advised me to walk away for ten minutes next time my husband gets agitated. I am always afraid he will get hurt. They told me things will happen even if I watch him every second, so leaving for ten minutes probably won't make a difference. I decided I will go for a walk next time. I need the exercise anyhow.
It's nice they started the group and I think it will be very helpful.
Don't forget to breathe!

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.07 12:38
Carman, SOOO glad you found a group. They are right...walk away...take care of you...Hope Hawaii was wonderful...glad you missed the bad weather...or, did you?

By carman96 On 2014.08.07 21:42
Yes, Jane, we are home now. It was pretty nice in Maui while we were there. Guess we got out just in time to miss all the rain!
Had a productive appointment with the neurologist today. She tweaked his meds a bit so we will see how that goes. She is going to send out someone to do an assessment at our house. She is asking for everything to see how much they will do for us. She very much wants me to have more help.
At the caregivers group they gave us a caregivers Bill of Rights. Guess it's been around awhile, and a lot of people here have heard them before. One of them is having the right to bring in help even if your loved one doesn't want you to! So I guess that applies to me!

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you