For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Adventure? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2014.08.10 10:36
I don't have much time to post -- but just need to say "aloud" that we are planning a trip south to visit my mother and siblings for her birthday. It will be my PWP husband's first time on a plane since we moved here in 2012.

He's nervous about flying, about meeting family members he's not met before (we haven't been married that long) and about his ability/inability to keep up with activities. He's nervous about his intestinal schedule, and his ability to use the bathroom independently, and what to wear, and being the only, or almost the only, man among my family of daughters, granddaughters and a great granddaughter or two. The other husbands may be working or otherwise not around -- so I know that will be kind of odd for him.

Anyway- his anxiety is making me crazy as I, in the next 2 days, have to finish helping his daughter get her things packed to ship off to her new school dorm, and get him packed, me packed, two animals to two different kennels, as well as getting some contract work done for gigs I have coming up in the fall, confirm arrangements for caregivers for the following week when I take DSD to school.

Whew!

VV

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.11 13:00
Violet, take a deep breath, let it out, and relax. We have flown several times...across country and from CA to HI, so while I understand the stress, let me assure you that the airline crews were extremely sympathetic and kind. Be sure you tell a few he has PD. One of the stewardesses on the flight to HI was especially kind, as her Dad had PD for twenty years...you never know until you let them know.

Try not to let his stress worry you and keep you from having a good time. Carl wants to reschedule our family trip to Disneyland...it was cancelled earlier by our SIL, whose job interfered...such is life...I did talk Carl out of flying down, reminding him that by the time we drive to the airport, wait to board, fly down, and then rent a car and drive to the hotel, we would have been halfway to Southern CA! (I want to drive down and take an entire week to go visit our SIL and daughter who live in San Diego)...We'll see...

Anyhow, please have a good trip. The one thing I learned from having to wear compression stockings (even with shorts in Hawaii), is that although people look sometimes, they almost always look away because they have some type of problem, too...I guess it is sympathy. Most people see the PD tremors, but understand and do not give lingering stares...It is normal to be curious, I think...

So, we go out to dinner and he still orders, sometimes twice or three times to repeat his order...but except for perhaps two waitresses, they are patient and kind...and to be honest, those two were inexperienced and young...so, write off unwarranted looks as ignorance!

Have fun and tell your husband you are excited and looking forward to seeing the family! Go and have fun! Jane

By VioletV On 2014.08.11 14:18
Thank you Jane,
The reminder to take a breath is a good one (I've been using Ten Zen Seconds website, which is a very good resource for quick stress release).

Yes, I am looking forward to this trip, and should e sure to let him know that I am.

I'll update when I can.

VV

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you