For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Fact check? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By HangingOn On 2014.08.15 21:49
Wanted to know if anyone else has experienced this with their PWP. Quite frequently if I talk about something, especially things about my job, my hubby goes on the internet and researches what I have said. The. Will quote me guidelines on what I was talking about. He researches this and points out things that he doesn't think I know. Is this his way of feeling in control? I talked with another caregiver and she said her PWP is also an expert on things like mine. I have to bite my tongue, it gives me the feeling he thinks I am stupid or lying. Please tell me if anyone else has had this happen.

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.15 23:12
I am sitting here laughing...not AT you, but at your situation...You see, my husband has been OCD about everything LONG before PD...So, it is normal for him to check or double check everything...I FINALLY got him to admit it in front of his new neuro, but the neuro laughed and said, "A BIT of OCD is a good thing!" lolol Keeps life interesting... I'd say let him check on things...keeps his mind active...don't take it personally...Hugs. Jane

By carman96 On 2014.08.16 00:03
I can only wish my husband was capable of fact checking. He doesn't know the difference between a fact and a delusion.
Either try to ignore it or tell him how you feel is my advice. Is he still capable of discussing things?
I really miss being able to discuss things with my husband, even if it was something we didn't agree on. Makes me feel so alone.

By HangingOn On 2014.08.16 17:52
I tried to bring it up, but he gets aggravated. I will just tell myself not to take it personally. I have a feeling it is his way of feeling productive and still part of the workforce. Thank you

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.17 13:33
Carman, I wish you lived closer...I'd give you a hug and come visit to sit and chat. We are not yet at your stage in PD, so we still often have lively "discussions", mostly because of his OCD and *my* lack of it! lol...I can see our lives changing almost daily...things are slowing down and he takes soooo long to do even the smallest task...Sometimes I think I am going to leap across the table to grab his spoon and say, "Eat faster! I don't want to sit here all day!" Then, oh well...I just move away...and am grateful he still CAN hold the silverware....HUGS!

By parkinit On 2014.08.17 23:15
Carman, I understand what you say. At this stage, it Is a very lonely time. Wishing for those conversations that are logical and understandable. Yes, I know this too well right now.

By makrivah On 2014.08.18 00:34
A lucid discussion happens infrequently these days. When it does occur, the topic is superficial (for example, telling me something about a tv show he just watched) or a memory from long ago (childhood, navy days, etc.). Trying to discuss anything in the future or of importance is a disaster. His thoughts skip across the surface of his mind. With his word-finding trouble, he gives up trying to say much of anything. I miss his company and sense of humor so much. I've gotten to the point of avoiding going out to eat. He sits there and says nothing. My attempts to initiate conversation are met with monosyllable replies or just a noise. It's tough on both of us.

By carman96 On 2014.08.18 19:56
My husband does have his moments of making sense, and even being funny. He used to have the quickest wit and really made me laugh. Once in a while he says something that makes me realize he's still in there somewhere.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you