For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Skydiving Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By JulieB On 2014.08.20 09:28
My husband Michael has been out of our home for seven weeks now. It has been so difficult and heartbreaking, but that's all I will say about it today. A little too raw right now, I guess.

But I thought I'd share something that makes me smile every time I think about it. At the small veterans home where Michael is being cared for, they offer the most wonderful activities for the residents. At Michael's first care conference, his whole team (nurses, dietitian, social worker, activities director, physical therapist, etc.) were sitting around a conference table with us, going over all the details of his first two weeks.

At the end of the time the social worker asked, "Michael, how do you like the food?" and Michael responded "Excellent!" The food there is truly plentiful and delicious. The social worker told Michael that if there was something they weren't serving that Michael would like, just to say the word and they would add it to the menu. I thought that was terrific.

Next, the social worker and activities director asked Michael if there were any outings or activities he was interested in that they weren't currently offering. Michael responded (much to my shock), "Skydiving."

So apparently they are going to arrange for Michael to tandem jump with a local skydiving company. No date is set yet, but I can't decide if this is absolutely wonderful, or a really bad idea. If I knew he could handle it, I would be thrilled. Since he has low blood pressure from the years of Sinemet and from the Lewy Body Dementia part of Parkinson's, I'm thinking I will talk to the doctor first.

I'm hoping he can do it. :)

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.08.20 10:34
Good for him! Just a note his low blood pressure would most likely be from the Parkinson's disease effect on our autonomic nervous system not from years of Sinemet use. Let's Us know how the jump goes.

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.20 10:41
Julie, I agree...go for it! Michael will be under doctor care and if you explain the blood pressure issue, he will probably be fine! How exciting for him...

We are off to see Carl's friend, but reading this MADE my day...I think too many times we get into the caregiver mode and forget that the one we married is still there and yours obviously wants to have a blast! I hope you can go watch and enjoy it...please let us all know how Michael does! Way to go, Michael!

By carman96 On 2014.08.20 20:04
Wow! I think it's great that they will help him do that, if that's what he wants. Good for him, I think it shows he's still interested in life and having fun.

By Mary556 On 2014.08.20 21:53
JulieB, how wonderful for your Michael. His spirit inspires me. I hope he gets approval from the doctor. That skydive would make him feel unfettered for a time. Still I know you will be holding your breath until his feet are back on the ground and he is hugging you again.
Peace be with you both.

By mylove On 2014.08.22 23:33
I think this is FABULOUS!

By parkinit On 2014.08.23 16:40
To still have items clicking off those old bucket lists- excellent! And what a supportive home. I love it!

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you