For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic 6 doctor visits in 9 days! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2014.08.23 09:04
Two trips to emergency room, two trips to his primary doctor, one visit to urologist, and one visit to prompt care clinic. Not to mention 4 trips to the pharmacy. He has been running a fever and is very weak and confused since the catheter was removed. He was on antibiotics but I guess they didn't work, so of course he has a UTI now. I have to get him in and out of the car into the wheelchair every time which is difficult because he does not listen. If I say back up he comes forward. If I say turn around and sit in the chair, he turns the wrong way. Nothing I say gets through to him. He fell 3 times the other day simply because he won't (or can't) listen to me. Of course I have to help him up which is not easy when the person isn't communicating. I sure hope these antibiotics work because I am getting really tired. He's sleeping a lot.
I have a big pile of bills and explanation of benefits letters which is just a mess. And a few other important business matters which came up that are immediate that I've had to deal with.
So exhausted and of course worried. It's always something.

By jcoff012 On 2014.08.23 11:35
Oh, Sweetie, take a few LOOOONNGG deep breaths and try to relax when he is sleeping...make sure you step outside for a bit...it really does help to clear your mind.

Thank you for your kindness to us this week...it was very much appreciated, especially since you were going through so much yourself.

Remember, we are in this together...the bills can wait...I have found that with Medicare and our insurance, it is always something...so, I read them, then let them pile up til they match...THEN I pay what I need to pay...don't just think that the first thing you get is a bill...most aren't...most are benefits statements...let your insurances work things out...you have enough on your mind.

Wish I could help you, but know we are all there, understanding...Hugs, Jane

By parkinit On 2014.08.23 16:44
Carman, don't out rule getting in some help for a few hours so you can step back and address any pressing issues without interruption.

{{{Hugs}}} to you.

By carman96 On 2014.08.23 22:00
Thanks for the advice and hugs! I just had a few things that were pressing that needed taking care of. I think I can procrastinate on the rest!
I do need to get more help. His neurologist said she was going to order an in home assessment. That was 2 weeks ago and haven't heard from anyone. I also need to get some help from the VA. I know they should be doing more for him and I also know you have to be persistent. It's all so exhausting!
This UTI is really making him weak. He can't even sit up straight. His fever seems to be gone though so that's good. Hopefully he is responding to the new antibiotic.
He's really going to need some P.t. when he feels better. I hate seeing him like this.

By Trusting On 2014.08.25 00:00
Carman, My husband is a Vietnam Vet and when PD was diagnosed he became eligible for full Veteran's disability. We are in St. Louis area and he seems to be getting great care at the VA hospital.
They ordered him an home assessment and after they didn't come out right away I rechecked and it got messed up in their computer. Once it was ordered the second time they came out within about two weeks. They paid to have an outside ramp put in and have furnished anything else we need. It is worth it to stay on them. If your husband is a Vietnam Vet and has PD it is an automatic disability from Agent Orange. Blessings and hugs to you.

By carman96 On 2014.08.25 00:28
Thanks Trusting, for the advice.I know I need to get the VA to start paying for everything. We are in a rural area and it is quite a way to a hospital. I can't stand the doctor at the closest clinic, he doesn't do a thing.
My husband is 100 percent disabled Vietnam veteran.
A friend of mine told me she is going to call me Monday to make sure I called the VA, and she is going to keep bugging me until I do it. She said "and be assertive" I am a procrastinator and a wimp.
It's all just so overwhelming sometimes.

By Mary556 On 2014.08.25 05:28
Dear Carman, maybe you are a procrastinator in the sense that you have so much to do that you are setting priorities and postponing some things to attend later.
Those who read your words here can certainly tell that You are not a wimp! I pray to be as courageous as you are.

By carman96 On 2014.08.25 08:12
Thank you for your kind words Mary. I guess I have become a little more pushy where my husband's health is concerned. I sure do wish though that it was easier to navigate all the many doctors, appointments with so many different places for tests, sorting bills, figuring out what the next thing to do, and all that goes with it. I have gotten so much excellent advice from the good people of this forum. Thank you all.
He has an appointment with a podiatrist today, since he has problems with his feet. I already put it off once, so I guess I better take him. Only about 90 minute round trip. Just hope he's feeling better today. He was doing much better yesterday than the day before.

By moonswife On 2014.08.26 00:10
Carmen, Do not ever think of it as pushy. "We are women, hear us roar" especially when our mates are involved. Assertive does not even cover it. He and his care are so important that toe the line, tell what you need to who ever will listen, and if you are ignored then ask to speak to a supervisor. And ask the VA for the spouse support advisor. They will put you in touch with a person that will teach you that particular facilities game. Because in life it is all just a game, and knowing the rules is the 1st step to winning the game. Bless you tomorrow.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you