For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Here we go again...taking care of me! ;-* Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By jcoff012 On 2014.09.02 17:04
Yesterday I started walking again, but with a change...I am walking in and out of the house! Let me explain...I have used the excuse (although it is the truth, in a way) that it is too hot to walk...It has been in the upper 90s and 100s for most of the summer, that is true. BUT, it is an excuse I no longer wish to foster. So, yesterday morning, after breakfast, I started walking briskly around our massive patio, through the sliding doors, into the house, down the hall, dining room, kitchen island, then back out for six laps around the patio, and back again for a solid half hour...Did it again with Nigel here today!...It made the walking a tad less hot, being able to be in the house for some of it actually cooled me off, and today, I was able to let Nigel finish up his breakfast while I kept an eye on him.

Also started back on Weight Watchers but tailored it to help in getting my blood sugar down...It dropped 20 points from 8 til noon yesterday and was even less today...I know it will take time, but it was encouraging to me to see it go down...

As always, we SAY 'take care of yourself' but we usually don't...Why I am posting this...If I can do this, YOU can, too...I just had to figure out a way to incorporate it into our lives...I figure I will do this routine on Tuesday and Thursday while Nigel is here and the rest of the week til the heat abates, then the rest of the week, after the heat subsides, I can start walking in the park.

Do something for yourself, something that will make you feel better...the exercising is for me, but we will all benefit. I feel better being more active, and, although the thought of HOW I am starting out sounds a bit silly, the results after only two days are very encouraging...Start small...Give yourself a boost. We do so much for our PWP and families...join in and do something for you...I promise you will feel better...and sleep better..I did! Hugs and love, Jane

By carman96 On 2014.09.02 19:05
That's great Jane! I haven't been to weight watchers or exercise class in over a month. Between traveling and my husband's UTI and the many trips to doctors, I really have not had the chance. Starting next week I will have no one to stay with Mike. I am trying to get an agency to come in and get help from VA. Too much red tape I say.
Anyhow, I think it's great that you found a way to walk without really leaving the house!
Now I have no excuse to not exercise!
Keep up the good work!

By umajane On 2014.09.03 00:57
That sounds great!!!! I have been too lazy this summer thinking of every excuse in the world. Tomorrow morning even if it is 15 minutes I WILL WALK!!!!
I will get my ITunes and headset ready and take out my tennis shoes right now and put them by the door.
Also tomorrow getting a pedicure in between Clay's haircut appointment and his Pilates class. We need this!!!!!!!

By dans316 On 2014.09.03 09:34
I too am one of those grabbing any excuse not to exercise. The last 12 months, I used June as an excuse not to walk since I needed to be home with her. Then about a month ago, I got the bright idea to get up at 6 am and go for a walk while she sleeps.
That has been going great and it's about a 40 minute walk of about 4200 steps per my iPod pedometer. The downside of it is my glucose readings have increased due to the increased physical activity. I only started this on July 19, but so far have not missed a day. And the other downside is I've gained about 5 pounds:(

Dan

By jcoff012 On 2014.09.03 22:51
Good for all of us...Dan, you always make me laugh...my glucose readings have dropped a LOT in just three days! I am monitoring my blood sugar til I have an A1C test in October...

As for your walking, are you eating a bigger breakfast when you get home? ;))) I really love the idea of you walking, but cannot imagine you are gaining, not losing...something is amiss! I was TOLD to get back to my walking! lolol...Hugs and tell June hello, Jane

By jcoff012 On 2014.09.03 22:55
Jane, it isn't easy to start, but it quickly becomes a habit...go for it! Had a hard time doing it today, but I did...lol...Feel kinda funny doing the in and out of the house, but since Carl takes his walk then, I need to be around for Nigel...gives him a chance to watch Paw Patrol or even join me going in and out of the house.

I will think of you both...I walk 8:30-9 AM...SOMEDAY I will get the distance and speed up, but for now, doing my best...drat, should never have stopped!

By umajane On 2014.09.04 00:53
Yes with my walking shoes by the door I had no excuse this morning... thanks for the motivation

By jcoff012 On 2014.09.04 12:57
Checking in...Did it with Nigel chasing me around the kitchen...I am actually sweating! lol

Carl had a terrible morning this morning...bad night, too...I thought he would NOT walk, but he is out there....it is taking him longer, but he is doing it! Hey, if a guy with PD can walk, WE can! Good luck! Jane

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you