For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Signed up with an agency Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By carman96 On 2014.09.07 10:51
Our friend that helps us out is leaving for two months so I signed up with a private agency that provides caregivers. It's not cheap but I need help right away.
His neurologist wrote an order over a month ago for a home health assessment but haven't heard from anyone. Also if I take him to a VA doctor hopefully they will pay for as some of it.
It's not so much the money but I'm afraid my husband will not like it.
Hopefully they send someone who he likes. They say they will try to find the right person for him. Also you can ask for a different one if it doesn't work out.
Tuesday we are going to a lawyer to do some estate planning, power of attorney, advanced directives and such. I'll feel a lot better after that is done, and hopefully my husband will adjust to caregivers.

By umajane On 2014.09.07 11:26
Carman, how did you chose the agency?? I am about to find an agency too and do not know where to begin as there are so many in our area. My counselor suggested that I get out a bit more for my sanity.

By carman96 On 2014.09.07 13:48
Umajane, I called the Area agency on aging. I am in area 12. Sonora CA
They gave me the name of several agencies. They use a private agency that will give you 8 hours a month paid for by federal funds. I decided to go with the same one they use.
A lady came out to the house for an assessment to see what our situation is, and I gave them a small deposit. It is good to sign up anyway because if there was an emergency, like I had to go in the hospital or something, they could send someone right out to care for Mike.
This is different from a doctor's order assessment, that is the one Medicare might pay for. I'm still waiting for that one.
They are supposed to send someone so I can go play Bunco Tuesday night. It seems weird to pay someone for that but I have to get out of the house once in awhile.
Good luck with finding someone to help you out.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you