For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Impressive exercise results at UAB Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2014.09.09 23:36
Sixteen weeks, 6 point drop in UPDRS score, 30% reduction in muscle capacity to go from sit to stand (90% to 60%), balance improvement, and more:

http://www.uab.edu/medicine/news/latest/item/329-strength-training-shows-benefit-for-parkinson-s-patients

Study participants were patients with moderate Parkinson's.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.09.10 00:51
Interesting, and good for them! This again is a small study of 15 PWP only so let's hope it works for others. I have to say I'm surprised that muscle weakness is considered part of Parkinson's? I'm not sure when this happened? Years ago this was viewed as a common misconception of P.D. because arms and legs trembled people thought it was from weakness. But patients and the medical field knew it was from the effects of the disease not any weakness in muscles. Maybe it is now considered from the disease because patients aren't as active or still doing the things they can because others tend to take over tasks that they could still do albeit slower or with more difficulty but now aren't expected to do? Sometimes with the best intentions when we rush in to help we can be deteremintal instead of helpful. If less is expected from any patient of any disease patients will tend to live up/down to those expectations.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you