For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Rejoining Group after several years Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By SparkysGal On 2014.10.06 13:16
Hello to all. When my hubby was diagnosed several years ago with PD I participated in this group for a bit, mostly to get some idea of what to expect. In the meantime, we have moved twice, kids are grown and on their own, and PD continues to take it's toll. Hubby was diagnosed at 46 and is now 61. Overall we have been blessed with slow progression and life in general has been pretty good. We just found out that my BIL has just been diagnosed with PD as well at age 54 and it has really upset me. I think partly because I know what lies ahead for them and wouldn't wish it on my enemies let alone loved family and partly because I feel like I need to be a support to both my BIL and SIL as they face this and I don't have a lot of extra to give these days. I appreciate this forum and will check in often.

By Freespirit On 2014.10.06 16:17
Glad you are here, Sparky's Gal. Welcome back!

By jcoff012 On 2014.10.06 18:57
Sparky, I think when the time comes, you will be able to be there for your relatives...I know, because we have already gone through my husband's Mom's journey, and now my husband has it...It is always the elephant in the room when we go back to NC..who is going to be next, you know? But, we are all in this together as a family and all in this together here...Sadly, but we truly do want your journey with PD to be as simple as possible...I, among many others here, wish we didn't meet this way, but we did...and I welcome you to the forum. Jane

By moonswife On 2014.10.06 22:05
Glad you are back Sparky. The best thing you can give your BIL and SIL is knowledge, because knowledge is power. Power over confusion, misunderstanding medical personnel and realistic expectations. Good luck to you and hubby and I pray your BIL progresses slowly like my husband and yours.

By SparkysGal On 2014.10.07 10:33
I talked to my SIL for about an hour on the phone last evening. I let her talk mostly and interjected only when I thought she was needing advice. Sometimes we just need to talk to someone who understands. I talked to her out of earshot of my hubby because he doesn't need to hear our concerns - it only stresses him more. Thanks for the warm welcome. SIL and BIL are new to this journey but are blessed with two sons who are very engaged. Oldest is in medical studies and is very proactive and insisted Dad get checked out. SIL has good support. Lord know we all need that!

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you