For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Second Opinion...thank goodness! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By makrivah On 2014.10.29 19:31
My husband has had increasing lower back pain which eventually started going down his leg. First physical therapy. Then therapeutic massage and chiropractic adjustments (really just electronic stimulation and gentle manipulation, no bone cracking). Then X-rays. And finally MRI.

The Veterans Administration did all the tests. The MRI report had a laundry list of spinal problems (primarily age appropriate arthritis) with one issue where they recommended surgery.

Well, my radar went way up (thanks to this forum and your anesthesia warnings). I started questioning this surgery. Long story short. We went to a surgeon outside of the VA who is renown in our area for helping PWPs with spine problems. His recommendation (which we are following) is to try cortisone injection (two if needed) and come back to see him. In his opinion surgery MAY be necessary down the road, but not now and hopefully never.

My PWP is happy. Cortisone shot has been scheduled. Keep your fingers crossed and send your usual positive thoughts.

Bottom line, second opinions are a good idea.

By jcoff012 On 2014.10.30 14:22
Please come back to let us know if the shots helped. So far, Carl's major issues are tremors and severe back pain...he has gone the same route as your husband and has been diagnosed with arthritis, too...So, other than taking pain pills, which he won't do, there doesn't seem to be anything helping. Good luck!

By gram2 On 2014.11.01 10:24
My hubby had back/sciatic pain prior to being diagnosed with PK. A cortisone shot provided an instant cure. It's sure worth a try.

By makrivah On 2014.11.01 20:27
Thank you for your replies. I'll keep you posted. Shot is Nov 15.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you