For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Loud chewing anyone? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2014.11.01 13:39
I hate to sound petty, but this is becoming an issue in our family and I am wondering if this is PD or something else. I have noticed that whatever he eats, my husband makes more noise chewing it than I can imagine is even possible. I can hear him grinding and chewing clear across our house. Our children will look at me at mealtimes, shocked, and I don't know what to say or do. Right now I am ignoring it but that cannot last. Even eating a salad is so loud I have gone outside sometimes, because I don't want to make him feel bad, but at the same time if I am trying to work, it is impossible to concentrate with that noise going on.

I have even been WOKEN UP by my husband's chewing, this is usually tortilla chips in the middle of the night. I have never read of extremely loud chewing being a PD issue, but does anyone else notice this? It is so hard for everyone.

By jcoff012 On 2014.11.01 17:37
I had to look and read this twice to make sure it wasn't written by me! My problem this last month has been at breakfast...his noise eating a bowl of cereal is driving me nuts...and, I agree...this is truly a difficult problem because I don't want to hurt his feelings. This is an OCD man who would be humiliated if he thought something as simple as clanking and load noises while eating were so pronounced...

I almost wrote a similar post...it seems unbearable at times...I usually use my iPad to try to take my mind off it, but sometimes, I want to tell him how awful it is...

I fully realize this seems minor, and someday, ANY noise will be welcome, but for now it is as if he cannot hear himself! Any suggestions are welcome, other than telling him outright...his embarrassment would devastate his self-confidence.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.11.01 18:55
I'm not sure if this is what's going on or not. Have either of you noticed that they also have mouth movement just sitting around? You know like licking the lips more or even pursing their lips? If so it might be dystonia related to medication. I have noticed recently I'm experiencing this pursing of lips more and I haven't increased my Carba/L-Dopa. However I can't think but because it is there sometimes and other times for a few days not that it might be just a little too much L-Dopa. With our medication coming from India via China and the guide lines for the main ingredients being 80% to 110% that I may be getting the higher dosage of medication in some pills. Which explains some days when the medication doesn't seem to be working as well. As if We don't have enough to worry about with the ongoing underlying disease to cut the cost of manufacturing our medication we have to worry about if the next batch is high or low on the allowed scale which should be tighter to the 100%.

What frosts me most about this is talking to a couple of druggists about it They have responded well We really watch it for patients with epilepsy where it really makes a dig difference! I scolded them and tried to educate them on Parkinson's Disease however it had little effect on them so needless to say I won't do any business with Them or Their pharmacies anymore.

If it is dystonia other than lessen the amount of medication I don't think there's much one can do about it but if medication is lessened then We will forfeit benefits from the medication in other areas of daily living. Sorry I can't say defiantly what's happening but that's my guess. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By jcoff012 On 2014.11.01 20:18
Yes, Al, he does all of that..and, more...When we are in the car and he is focused more on driving, he more often than not, intakes...as if he was sucking food from his teeth...sometimes his teeth chatter, too...I did mention the teeth chattering, and he said, "I know; I cannnot help it." ?

These are very new ticks and most days I find a way to avoid confrontation, but it is bothersome. As I said, I feel it isn't something he can help, but is still annoying.

It very well could be the combination of his meds..I definitely will bring this up at the end of January...if I can take it!

I hate this stupid disease...it robs some of the strongest of that which they treasure most...their dignity...and, knowing that, I remain silent for the most part. It would be difficult to be accusatory about something over which he had no control...it is just hard to take after a short night's sleep because he thrashed most of the night.

I told him the other day, "It's a good thing we raised four kids and I have such a high tolerance for petty annoyances!" Of course, he had NO idea of what I meant! LOLOLOL As I always say, I love this man and always will, it is just hard to witness his decline and not be able to help make it easier and more gentle...hugs!

By makrivah On 2014.11.01 20:36
Although my Dad did not have PD, he was a VERY noisy eater in his late 80s and 90s. Embarrassing. Annoying. Etc. Eventually we figured out that he was losing his hearing and had NO idea he was smacking, chomping, whatever. Hearing aids solved a multitude of issues.
Might be worth checking.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you