For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Hearing? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2014.11.22 22:38
Has anyone noticed that their PWP seems to have a hard time hearing things? My husband increasingly asks me or our kids to repeat things, mostly our kids. They get very frustrated as they are talking normally. I have not read anything about this and am wondering if it is PD or just aging in general.

By makrivah On 2014.11.23 11:27
YES! In fact we had his hearing checked. It is well within normal with only minor loss in the higher register in one ear. We talked to other doctors: 1) it's just a man thing. (That was unacceptable.) 2) PD slows down his ability to process information. By asking you to repeat yourself, the PWP is buying time to understand what was said. At the same time, the PWP takes time to form his response. (That explanation I can accept...not that I like it, but it makes sense.)

Some tips: always start a conversation or question by stating the PWP's name. Then hesitate until he's focused on you. Then start to talk. The hard part is waiting for his response in polite silence.

My PWP has pretty much given up trying to follow group discussions, much less speak up. He has told me that by the time he has thought of his response and formed the words, the conversation has moved on and his comment is out of context. He gets embarrassed, so he shuts down. BTW, in the past we were very active socially as a couple. Now the invitations rarely (never?) come.

I still struggle with this "hearing" loss and its overall impact on our lives.

By umajane On 2014.11.24 00:27
Thank you for explaining it so well. It takes my husband a long time to answer me. It is difficult to not get a question answered.....rather frustrating. It is all part of the disease but a rather tough one. It has a huge impact on everything.

By makrivah On 2014.11.24 11:50
Al, I may have overstepped in my earlier reply. I was repeating what his doctors and the books say. From your perspective, is my comment in the ballpark?

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.11.24 16:45
Mak, Sounds rational to me. Could be what's going on along with aging or even a younger time listening to tunes with head phones turned up to drown out background noises. Heck even from working in loud workplaces. I worked for a time welding at the GE in the tank shop and hearing protection was required they gave us yearly hearing tests. So it could be any number of things I guess. Your answer is as good as anyone else's I'd say.

I'm just paranoid when it comes to cognitive function and slow thinking being blamed solely on the disease. I'm in no way saying you or anyone here has or is doing this so please don't get offended. I mean by Doctors and other professionals. I seems to Us laymen that many medications can contribute to our problems and have side-effects leading to problems and the professionals seldom tell about that aspect of what we take. it is always the disease and not the treatment . G-d forbid their prescription rates drop! But I digress and better stop I feel a long rant building uyp lol. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you