For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Seasonal warning! Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.12.05 16:51
Cold and Flu season is a bad time and for Parkinson's Patients it is ever so much harder. Most over the counter cold and flu medications carry warnings not to take with anti-Parkinson's medication. On many you need a magnifying glass to read the fine print. It is amazing the number of these medicines that carry this warning and very few can be taken by us patients (depending on what medications we are on). Always, always check with the Doctor or Druggist before even giving any of these products. As an example cough syrup (myself there's only one kind I can take). Have a safe and enjoyable season. Take care, best of luck and hang in there.

By JulieB On 2014.12.05 17:49
Al, what kind of cough syrup do you take? I seem to remember Delsym having been recommended for PWP, but I can't remember now. It would be good to know, and to make sure all caregivers and nursing staff knows this too.

By mylove On 2014.12.05 19:57
You can see my reply on Dan's similar post below, but don't forget online tools like drugs.com or Rxlist....they have medication interaction checkers. Very useful when you can't ask a person, and often quicker. Plus the outside of boxes and bottles often don't have enough space to list all potential interactions.

Checking all new drugs, OTC or prescription, is a habit that's been a lifesaver for us. Can't tell you how many times we have received one that we CAN'T take...prescribed by a doctor, handed to us by a druggist, that both had our entire prescription history. And then you're at home with something that you paid for, can't take, and have to wait to get hold of a nurse to relay a message to a doctor to try to represcribe. You definitely are your own best advocate! Use all the tools available to you.

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.12.12 00:24
JulieB, sorry it took so long to reply I don't remember which kind (it was one of the Robitussin kind) but (I hope I don't jinx myself saying this) it was probably 15 years ago and I just thought I'd remember it.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you