For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Drooling Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By LC On 2014.12.16 14:34
My husband drools almost constantly. Is there any medication for that? Do you use any special items to absorb the saliva?

By LOHENGR1N On 2014.12.16 16:11
Some Neurologists will prescribe Artane to help with the drooling. There may be other medications, some people wear wrist bands like the tennis players wear. Terry cloth (like a towel) absorbent, and handy you don't have to pull them out of your pocket or put them back in a pocket. In my own personal experience Artane will help lessen drooling some but nothing I know of will really bring it back under normal control. Other here might know of something else. Hope this helps, take care, best of luck and hang in there

By carman96 On 2014.12.16 22:51
A neurologist told us that they have botox injections that can help. But you have to keep getting them. My husband's isn't that bad except when he is sleeping. He spits a LOT.
I also heard that chewing gum helps them swallow the drool. But you can't chew gum all the time.
Maybe others have some suggestions.

By Freespirit On 2014.12.17 09:43
LC, I give my husband Mucinex extended release at night before he goes to bed. For him, the saliva really seems to build up at night and it made it difficult for sleeping due to the congestion. The thick saliva was also affecting his ability to eat his breakfast even after his first morning dose of Carbidopa/Levodapa kicked in in. We have found that the Mucinex has helped this tremendously. . . at least for now. I have noticed less drooling since he has been taking it.

By LC On 2014.12.17 10:32
I don't think I can give him Mucinex because he is taking Clozapine for hallucinations. I do like the idea for the wrist bands. I bought some today and will try them out. This group is so awesome. Thank you.

By Mary556 On 2014.12.17 11:19
LC, one more idea... I got my PWP some heavyweight 13" x 13" washcloths (face towels) in her favorite color. We tuck one diagonal corner into the top of her shirt to keep her clothes dry when she is sitting in her chair. She calls this her "serviette" (reverting to her language of childhood). The cloth is very soft and absorbent. She likes to use tissues or paper towels to dab her mouth and then throw them away. There is always an abundance of tissues in her pockets, shirt sleeves and under her pillow.
My Mom is very self-conscious about drooling. It is one of the most upsetting PD symptoms for her. The only time she has less saliva is when her L-dopa (Sinemet) has been increased. Dehydration, dry mouth and constipation are the other side of that coin. Drooling seems preferable to me. It is a fine balance.

God bless all PWPs and caregivers.

By jcoff012 On 2014.12.20 21:30
Drooling is s big problem for Carl, especially at night. He sleeps with a hand towel across his pillow, but has no other solution...he is such a dear about his problems, so he never complains. I think it boy hrs me more than him...I am bothered a FOR him!

By dans316 On 2015.01.30 15:06
[deleted]

By Freespirit On 2015.01.30 16:44
LC,
I believe Mucinex only clashes with MAOI's, which Clozapine is not... It's an anti-psychotic.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.01.30 17:00
I have a towel near by my spouses chair and I've tried putting it in front over this shirts to catch the drool but he doesn't remember to use it on a regular basis. He just wipes his mouth with his hand or the towel, therefore I've had to do more washing lately.

If we are going out anywhere I have to check his shirt or if I think of it, have him put the towel in place if he sitting in the chair before we go out.
Thank goodness I can usually wipe the stains with a wet wash cloth and hope it dries before we got to our destination.

A couple of year ago the MDS said to try chewing gum but the other day our daughter said that it wasn't such a good idea if he is napping a lot as he could choke the gum, which makes sense.
What are the side affects of the medications you are talking about.
He takes blood thinners and heart pills beside the Sinemet.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you