For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Unused medication?? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By VioletV On 2015.01.05 11:07
I don't know if anyone has ideas about this. We just refilled a huge prescription of Sinemet CR before my husband's doctor switched him to standard Sinemet.

Is there anything we can do with this enormous bottle of perfectly good medicine other than throw it into the medicine disposal box at the police station?

By carman96 On 2015.01.05 21:20
I don't know Violet but I hate just throwing it away. Seems like someone could use it. Some people can't afford their medication. I have several bottles of meds that I guess I have to dispose of. It's a waste.

By bksquared On 2015.01.05 23:52
At the Sr center in our town, people donate Depends, Ensure, walkers and other disposable medical products. Since Sinemet is not a controlled substance maybe a posting on the bulletin board can find someone who needs it. Or maybe ask a member of the clergy if they could pass it on to someone in need.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.01.06 00:57
Sinemet is a controlled medication in Massachusetts and all states as far as I know you need a prescription to get it

By jcoff012 On 2015.01.06 14:25
When Carl's Mom passed, we were told to dispose of the meds...we gave them back to the neurologist. Sinemet is a controlled substance here in CA, too.

By dans316 On 2015.01.06 17:36
Just a guess but I think what bksquared was referring to was the controlled substance act, which is a federal law. Drugs on that list are those which may cause dependency, or are Hallucinatory or both. Sinement is not on that list but it is a prescription drug and therefore should only be prescribed by a medical professional. I would imagine in most if not all states it would be unlawful for a layperson to dispense these drugs.

By mylove On 2015.01.07 00:57
This is the kind of situation that just makes my skin crawl. It's so difficult.... We went through something similar and had an entire month supply, unopened, of something insanely expensive that had already been paid for by insurance and we could not use it. I can't tell you how much I wished that we had been able to give it to someone who could not afford their medication and could have benefitted from it. I absolutely understand why the laws are in place, and shudder to think about how many ways a situation could go bad if they weren't that way, but honestly.... To throw something in the incinerator when there's been drug shortages...when so many people go without...makes me absolutely sick at heart.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you