For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Christmas Tree extended. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2015.01.05 19:12
This year my husband really enjoyed the Christmas tree which is artificial, and decorated with our various articles we've collected during our married life.
We bought a fibre optic a few years ago but I found the Christmas tree at a bazaar last year, so put it up again this year.
Since I've been too busy to disassemble it, I noticed he turned it on yesterday again and said he is going to miss it. Today I took the decorations off and took down other decorations around the house, but the tree and lights are still on the tree.

Suddenly after dinner I was thinking about the tree and wondering how we could extend the joy of the tree.
The lights are RED, so I was wondering what you thought about making it a Valentine Tree. I could go to the Dollar Store and get some Valentine decorations.
I know it might be tacky but my husband has possible Lung Cancer (we find out what kind in a week or so). He also has PD.
I just thought it would give him some joy to see the tree and lights for a while longer as he doesn't get out that much.
I could take it down anytime if we get tired of it, but don't you feel a little let down after the decorations are gone?

Maybe if we like it, we could decorate it for Easter too...........lol.
Do you think I'm crazy or nuts?
I've never done anything like this before.......lol.
Some people celebrate Christmas in July at camp grounds, and some even decorate their trailers to celebrate Halloween at the campsites. It mainly to entertain the kids though.

It's just a thought, but maybe I'll think about it some more. It takes a long time to get it together..........

By mylove On 2015.01.05 20:39
DO IT. :). Seriously, who is it going to hurt?? This dang disease steals so much pleasure from us all. If we can grab some joy, we need to do it with both hands. I think it's a fabulous idea, and you are very sweet to have seen it.

By carman96 On 2015.01.05 21:25
I know someone who uses a large manzinita branch painted white to hang decorations on. She changes the decorations every holiday. Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, etc.
Valentine's tree? Why not? Sounds like fun.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.01.05 21:56
Leave it up, light it up and enjoy it as long as you can. If you enjoy it no reason not to keep it up and shining some happiness about.

By bksquared On 2015.01.05 23:31
Go for it. Something positive to do. Imagine pumpkins and turkeys swinging around. Wish you could post some photos of your Happy(fill in the holiday) tree.

By jcoff012 On 2015.01.06 14:29
Go for it, one year after our daughter died, we did the same...it didn't come down til the end of June...no one wanted to take it down! Enjoy whatever makes you happy...you owe NO one any excuses!

By Lynnie2 On 2015.01.10 12:00
Thanks, I haven't had time to get any decorations but the tree is still up.
Only problem with leave it up, it collects dust and has been up for over a month.
Can you vacuum an artificial tree without damaging it, I wonder?
Just a thought......

By Mary556 On 2015.01.10 14:38
Lynnie, your perpetual Christmas tree brought back a happy memory to me of a similar one that was suggested by a dear friend, years ago.
I would be afraid to vacuum our tree; it seems too delicate. maybe a lamb's wool or feather duster (or microfiber) would be safer?

continuing prayers for your husband and yourself.

By makrivah On 2015.01.10 15:34
In the mid 1990s, I decorated like Chevy Chase as the Griswolds. Then in early January I got sick with a long recovery. Over the months decorations gradually we're put away. The tree still stood when April came. By then the neighbors had grown accustomed to seeing the tree lights in our bay window. I took joy is being reminded of the Christmas spirit as daffodils, dogwoods and azaleas bloomed. The weekend the pools opened, I finally dusted off the ornaments and tree and tucked them away. I think it is one of the most pleasant Christmas memories I have. For years my Christmas Tree in Spring was a neighborhood topic of friendly conversation. (P.S. Many offered to dismantle the tree, but I liked having it with me so I always politely declined their help.). Bottom line, if having your tree brings you joy, leave it up. BTW, changing your air exchange filters frequently minimizes dust.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you