For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic mirtazapene? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2015.01.19 14:16
Anyone taking this? On another forum a 73 year old with what he calls advanced PD has begun taking this and says it has really helped his tremor. Ten days out, still no side effects that he can tell.

This drug is an antidepressant but often scripted for other things like tremor and dyskenisias. Has anyone tried it or is anyone currently taking it?

By Freespirit On 2015.01.22 08:41
Hi, Lurking

Yes, my husband has been taking Mirtazapine for some time with success.

It is part of the tetracyclic group of anti-depressants. For whatever reason, my guy can no longer tolerate anti-depressants of the SSRI type as they exacerbate his confusion, but Mirtazapine has proved to help him in a couple of different ways. One, it helps with depression, of course, but two, it also causes an increase in appetite (which he desperately needed), and three, it causes him to sleep better, so I have him take it just before bedtime.

I does NOT cause confusion in my guy at all and is overall well-tolerated with no negative side-effects.

I hope it works out for you as well!

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you