For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic After Lung Surgery Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Lynnie2 On 2015.02.21 12:28
My husband had his lobectomy on Tuesday and everything went well.
We brought him home on Friday and he is okay. He has some pain, but extra strength Tylenol helps.
He has to do breathing exercises and walk 3 x a day.
I rented a walker, in case he gets tired but so far he's walking okay.
I also borrowed a raised toilet seat with handle which helps too.
The doctor thought it was Stage 1, but the lab reports will confirm.
We go in 2 weeks to get out the stitches and see the surgeon in a month.
We are so glad to be home before the snow which has been coming down all morning. Our girls got back home before the bad weather too.
They were a big help staying with me at the motel and visiting their dad.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.02.21 13:04
That's great Lynnie! Thanks for the update!

By jcoff012 On 2015.02.21 13:14
Great news! Thanks for letting us know...been thinking about you both. Take care of yourselves and rest whenever you can! Great news! Hugs, Jane

By bksquared On 2015.02.21 22:00
All sounds good. Keep him walking - exercise will speed his recovery.

By carman96 On 2015.02.22 02:46
Glad the surgery went well. I bet you are relieved that part is over.
Hope his recovery is swift. You take care of yourself too.

By jaxrock On 2015.02.22 08:11
Sounds like you're both on the road to recovery, with the worst part over! Wishing you well.....

By JulieB On 2015.02.23 08:06
I'm so glad to know the surgery is behind him and he's home. It sounds like you have loving support too, which makes such a big difference. God be with you all as your dear one recovers! xoxo

By Lynnie2 On 2015.02.25 12:36
He is still doing okay, but sleeping a lot in the recliner. He seems to sleep better there than the bed at night.
We are suppose to have an Occupational therapist coming and they called from the city where he had the surgery, and they are suppose to be calling from this area.
I called them today and they said someone will be calling, so I guess that's all I can do right now.
We have heard about the follow up appointment, so maybe I'll call about that too.
I have him walk around the house as he suppose to do it about 3 times a day and do breathing exercises.

I shovelled the driveway again. The snow blew off the roof and made a mess again. I am getting so tired of the snow.
His incisions looks pretty good and drying up I think, so hopefully that continues until it's healed. He gets the stitches out in 9 days.
He isn't in much pain, mostly uncomfortable a little.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.02.27 19:00
I took my husband to the doctor's today so he could look at the stitches.
He's been uncomfortable sleeping and I also wanted to see if it was infected although it looks pretty dry.
The doctor thought it looked okay but wanted to wait until Tuesday to take out the stitch.
I also took my husband for a ride to get some apples at an orchard and cranberry apple jelly and went for a ride past the farm where we used to live. It was a nice bright day for a ride, and then we came home and had tea.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.02.28 11:49
I was hoping to get away for a couple of hours this week. There is a World Day of Prayer at one of the churches, (the service is done around the world).
I was hoping I could get my girl friend to go with me and have her husband stay with mine.
Then afterwards we could order a pizza and salad.
If she can't come, I might try and go myself and then check on my husband by phone after the service before the lunch.
I need to go away and do something besides caring for him.

By carman96 On 2015.03.01 10:17
Yes, Lynn, you need to take a little time for yourself after all these weeks of worrying and going back and forth to doctors etc. Glad your husband is doing well.
Have fun!

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.01 17:02
I hope I can go. I was planning to go to church this morning, but it snowed during the night and the roads weren't plowed so I stayed home.
I have a bit of a cold or sinus problem which gives me a cough so that's miserable. It's hard to get to sleep so I'm take some pills to help.
I was alright until I can home from the hospital, so I am wondering if it was from being there or the cold weather. Maybe a combination of warmth from the hospital and the going out in the freezing cold.
I think it's mostly the sinus drip and not a real cold.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.04 18:56
He got one stitch out yesterday, but feels like there is another one as he can feel the wire.
We are going for his blood test tomorrow, so we'll have the nurse look at it again.
I think the doctor thought those stitches dissolved, but it doesn't seem like it.
He is still sleeping in his recliner most of the time and takes a lot of naps.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.05 13:43
We saw the nurse and one stitch shouldn't come out, but wants us to come back again tomorrow so the doctor can look at the other one.

We'll be glad when the incision is healed once and for all.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.07 13:46
The doctor took out 2 stitches yesterday that were bothering my husband.
He slept in his bed longer last night, so hopefully it will continue.
I took him out for dinner last night and he ordered a personnel pizza.
I tried to get some friends to come, but one had a cold and the others had appointments in the afternoon, so we'll try to get together next week.

By carman96 On 2015.03.07 23:22
Lynnie, you are doingg a fantastic job of taking care of your hubby! Hope things continue to go well!

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.08 14:24
Thanks. I went to church this morning and then to brunch, so I left my husband home, so I had a little break.
Maybe next week he'll feel like going too, but we aren't pushing it.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.11 18:49
We had the occupational therapist today and he showed him how to put his shirts on better.
He is also going to bring a button hook and a zipper thing for zipping his jacket.
Also we inquired about a pole that he could hang onto when getting out of the shower and maybe a gate for the stairs.
They are ordering a walker too which is newer than the rental one and folds up better.
A health care coordinator comes tomorrow to assess him. I just think at this point he needs some physiotherapy.
I am able to handle him otherwise.
He was getting his pills mixed up today and taking too many even though I have it written on the container.
I just bought another container so he can put each hour's pills in different section, so hopefully that works.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.18 13:20
The Occupational Therapist brought a button hook for my spouse to use.
Also they are sending a new walker and a pole with a bar to help get out of the shower.
A speech pathologist is coming to access him tomorrow and a physiotherapist is coming, but we haven't heard from her yet. I hope they call soon as he needs to get some exercises to strengthen the lung.
His incision is looking good and the bruising is almost gone.
He is still getting a little mixed up with the pills, but it's only been less than a week since I changed it.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.27 18:40
My husband had the follow up with the surgeon about his lung surgery which was about 5 weeks ago and everything is good. His lung has expanded and he doesn't have to do the deep breathing exercises anymore.
The cancer was Stage 1 so just in the lobe that was removed and not anywhere else and the it was a low Grade cancer.
He won't have to have any chemo but the doctor wants to see him in 4 months for another check up.
It was a miracle that everything went well.
He still tires easily but that could be the Parkinson's, but the cough he had before surgery is gone, so it must have been the cancer.

By carman96 On 2015.03.28 09:17
Sounds good Lynn. Glad he is healing well from the surgery.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.03.29 12:12
We went out for dinner with some friends on Sat. night and Sunday he went to church and Brunch afterwards, so things are getting better.
I told him we don't have anything to do tomorrow, so he can relax.......lol.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you