For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Recumbent Bicycle Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By bksquared On 2015.02.26 10:39
My husband expressed an interest in riding a bicycle. With his severe balance issues a two- wheel bike does not seem safe. Anyone have an experience with a recumbent bike that has 3 wheels and a low center of gravity. I want to encourage this sudden interest but keep him safe.

By SparkysGal On 2015.02.26 11:14
My husband has also indicated he wants to get his bicycle out when the weather breaks. He hasn't ridden his bike in over 10 years! I'm scared to death with his balance issues he will be a hazard to himself and others. I don't think he would consider a 3 wheel version... I'm interested in how this works out for you.

By Freespirit On 2015.02.26 12:23
My husband uses a recumbent bicycle several times per week. It is a piece of equipment that he can get on and off of with little risk of falling, and it provides great exercise for him.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.02.26 18:21
My husband also has a recumbent bike but is doesn't have 3 wheels.
It has two peddles and a seat of course. You kind of sit in a more reclining position rather than sit up straight. It shows the speed he is going, etc. and you can program it if you want.

The MDS said that it won't strengthen his PD but is good exercise.

He also has a regular bicycle and road it a few times last summer. We used to go on a long hike when he didn't have PD but now he tires easily.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you