For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Palliative Care Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dans316 On 2015.03.23 17:01
Our local Hospice now offers Palliative Care for serious illnesses. On June's last visit to her COPD doctor, he suggested maybe we would like her to be assessed for her Parkinson's. Unlike Hospice care, there is no requirement of a limited life expectancy of 6 months. I just wanted to know if anyone else has heard of this and if anyone has used this service for PD.

From a Hospice article: Palliative care provides relief from distressing symptoms including pain, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, loss of appetite and other symptoms. It can also help with the side effects of medical treatments. Our staff works with the patient, family and your doctors to treat symptoms, maintain function and restore quality of life.

Dan

By jaxrock On 2015.03.23 18:13
Dan, my husband was offered Palliative Care after his hospitalization and resulting rehab last summer. It's been a God-send.
He still sees his PC Physician, however, this other group comes to the house. They check his vitals, see how he's doing, physically and emotionally. Today they came and did an EKG because he mentioned he has chest pains. There is also a Chaplain who comes to the house once a month to "chat" with him.
It really is helping us continue living our lives....with the knowledge that I can contact them any time of day or night, for anything...and they'll respond.
After many ER trips, etc, this is a wonderful "way to go"....
Good Luck with it....I hope your experience is as positive as ours has been so far.
Hospice would be the "next step", but my husband isn't ready for that, thank goodness. But, its all set up when needed.

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.03.24 09:14
Palliative care sounds like a wonderful idea. It may benefit you as much as it does your wife. Anything that can help relieve suffering on this journey none of us wanted to begin is worth trying. Wikipedia has info: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palliative_care

By Mary556 On 2015.03.28 16:09
sorting out some papers today I happened to find an article about palliative care that gives these references:
http://getpalliativecare.org/whatis/faq/
http://palliativedoctors.org/faq

God bless all PWP's and caregivers.

By Freespirit On 2015.03.30 09:09
Hi, Dan
My husband is currently under Palliative Care. In addition to late stage PD, he also has advanced prostate cancer. We just started with them, so we're new to it. My initial thoughts are that I like the idea of more flexibility with going to doctors, continuing to receive certain treatments, etc
For example, my husband is experiencing back pain. Is it due to the PD, or due to metastisis of the cancer? Palliative care says, "lets have an X-Ray to determine that." My experience with Hospice is that they discourage further diagnostic testing.
Palliative Care serves as perhaps a pre-Hospice program, I think.

By Mary556 On 2016.01.25 01:39
bump

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you