For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic cognitive problems Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By daisy On 2015.04.09 09:12
Have any of you had difficulty getting the neuro to assess and officially diagnose dementia as a result of parkinsons?

I feel that DH would have been diagnosed long before now, but because he has pd and is under the care of a professional anyway, there is a certain reluctance to formally diagnose for younger patients. It may not be an issue for more elderly patients.

Just putting it out there.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.04.09 11:29
Daisy, It might be the effects of his medications causing his problem. I can't say for sure but that could be the reason the Doc doesn't diagnose it. To Us lay people we don't know all side effects of medicines but the neuro may hear what you say and thinks "that's to be expected" but they don't tell us. Might be something to ask at his next appointment? Many times the neuro overlook informing Us of what effects may be expected. Also once dementia hits our medical records it never leaves and our complaints and concerns are not regarded because who listens to a demented person? Can't say for sure just tossing this out here as what might be the reason. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By JulieB On 2015.04.21 12:33
Dear Daisy, I have learned more from Al than anyone else that PD medication can be the culprit for many things people see in their PWP. It's important you try to have that checked out. In the case that your loved one does have dementia, I'll share with you what I did. My husband Michael had Lewy Body Dementia along with his Parkinson's. I printed out this page:

http://www.lbda.org/content/symptoms

and took it to our neurology appointment, with all the appropriate symptoms checked in pencil. (For Michael, almost all of them were checked.) Maybe looking at it in black and white made it sink in more, because as soon as our neurologist saw how "text book" Michael was, she made the official diagnosis. Just a thought.... God bless you Daisy. xoxo

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you