For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Acupuncture? Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By makrivah On 2015.04.19 11:06
Has anyone tried acupuncture for PD symptom relief? If so, did it work?

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.04.19 12:08
This doesn't specifically address acupuncture for PD but gives an overview of the scientific basis for healing and/or symptom relief using acupuncture.

http://theness.com/neurologicablog/index.php/does-acupuncture-work-or-not/

By VioletV On 2015.05.05 16:52
Makriva

My husband, who has had PD for 20 years goes to acupuncture two or three times a month with a physician who is also a trained acupuncturist.

In the past 2 years he has improved enormously due, we think, to a combination of wellness activities, including acupuncture.

He uses a Theracycle every day for about 30 minutes, does LSVT exercises also every day along with easy weight training with 4 pound weights. He goes to a medical hypnotist for sleep and anxiety, which has helped SO much. He now routinely sleeps 4-5 hours at a stretch where before it was 1.5 hours at most before he woke up.

Specifically with acupuncture, he has seen an astonishing improvement in leg swelling which seemed to be a long-lasting effect of Amantadine, which had discontinued.

His legs, in color and condition, have improved completely--no discoloration, no swelling at all. His walking is greatly improved. His handwriting is now normal size whereas before he had very serious micrographia. His facial mobility is near normal now. I can't attribute any of these changes to only one of these measures, but together (along with excelled Sinemet management by his MDS) they have improved our lives.
VV

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.05.05 18:37
Resistance's link is very informative, along with that withdrawing amantine will reduce swelling of legs and as the medicine departs the body over time discoloration will also. Understandingthe pathology of our disease the problems are in our brain getting messages from synapses to synapses to travel the gap between them. For acupuncture to work on that problem one would need to place needles into those microscopic gaps allowing the message to travel through the needle and on to the next synapses. Finally with the correct management of Sinemet (still our best medication) the improvements you describe in facial expression, hand writing and movement etc would be expected from the Sinemet.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.05.06 01:09
Just to clarify with the acupuncture if you use my analogy of an old telephone switch board all the holes but limited wire (dopamine) to plug into the holes to complete the calls ( signals) if those signals aren't plugged in which acupuncture cannot do it is likened to sticking the needles into the telephone poles or wires to connect the call, it won't address the dopamine loss in our brains. I don't know if this explains it better or not.

By Debs On 2015.11.11 20:25
I've only just read your question about acupuncture for PD. My husband has early onset Parkinsons and is on meds for it. We both have acupuncture monthly. It greatly relieves tension he feels around the top of his head. Also reduces the pain in his tight leg muscles or any pain elsewhere. I go as it helps the depression and anxiety I've had for many years and now with the stress that comes with being a carer also. I don't know what we'd do without it😊

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you