For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic How My Husband Died Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Witsend On 2015.04.19 14:41
I hope this is not too personal to share here. It is information that I feel would have been helpful for me to have. If you are not in these stages yet, there is no reason to upset yourself by thinking about it. That's how I always felt, anyway.

On the day of my dear husband's death, the Hospice nurse handed me a booklet called, "Gone From My Sight". It had the most helpful information about dying that I had read, and was a great help to me on that last day. However, I wished they had given it to me earlier. There is a PDF version here: http://www.hph-hospice.org/files/UnderstandingHowWeDie.pdf

From my own experience, on the Wednesday before his death, my husband would barely eat. I was able to give him some chocolate ice cream, the last thing he ever ate. He had long since stopped being able to communicate, walk, or express emotion, but he seemed incredibly peaceful that day. I realized then that he was starting to detach from me. While it felt wonderful because I knew he was moving beyond suffering, it was almost unbearable sad for me because I knew it meant he would soon be leaving me.

The next day, Thursday, he was in bed all day. I sat by his side. He made some occasional movements, but was totally asleep. On Friday they got him out of bed and put him in his wheelchair. As soon as I saw him, I knew he was in the process of leaving. He didn't move, didn't open his eyes, but seemed so much more peaceful than he ever had. I sat and held his hand and sang to him, trying not to cry in his presence, as I at all times believed he could hear me.

I had fought and fought giving him permission to leave, but this day I did, as it seemed he somehow needed it. It's more likely that I needed it, nevertheless, it felt good to give him permission. More than that, I urged him to take God's hand and go on this journey with Him.

On Saturday he was in bed again. I couldn't stay long that day, as it was tearing me apart emotionally, and the nurse assured me it didn't look like he would die that day.

On Sunday, he was in bed, very gaunt, very pale, and it was (believe it or not) the first time I actually, totally realized he was dying. There was no more denial about it. I sat by his side and held his hand, talking gently to him and crying my eyes out. I leaned a lot on the caregiving and nursing staff that day, asking them what they thought the timeline was, how I could possible handle his impending death, and asking what specifically would happen when he died. I was NOT ready to let him go, although clearly I had no choice. I called my sisters in New Jersey and told them I needed them to come out here to California as soon as possible. My sister Ann said she would fly in late that night.

On Monday, it was my dear husband's 80th birthday. I am so grateful that my sister Ann reminded me before we left the house, as it would have caused me to melt down completely if my first reminder had been the balloons and streamers the caregivers put on my husband's door. He seemed comatose, although his eyes were halfway open and stayed that way the rest of the time. I stayed with my husband for a while, then suddenly felt a panic as I realized that sometimes people wait until their loved ones have left the room before they will pass. So we went home and I took a nap.

We returned to the care center at 5:20 pm. That's when Hospice gave me the booklet I mentioned above. My husband's breathing was very slow, but there was only a very slight "death rattle". I told him everything I ever wanted to tell him in 25 years of life together. How much he meant to me, how sorry I was for everything I ever did to hurt him. I gave him permission again to move onto this leg of his journey that he would need to take without me. We had the Weather Channel on in the background, as that was the channel he always kept on in the background at home. At one point, my sister and I were chatting about a show on the channel, interspersed with my feeling under his nose to be sure he was breathing. I suddenly sensed he had stopped, and checked again. My sister asked "is he still breathing?" and I said "I can't tell" even though I could tell he had stopped. I was too afraid to say it. My sister felt under his nose and said "Yes, he stopped". His color immediately turned yellow and I knew it was over. It was 6:05 pm. My sister got the nurse, who of course verified that he was gone.

I believe he waited until he knew I had family with me before he finally went. His last act of selflessness for me. I hope this isn't too detailed and inappropriate to share. The life and death of our loved ones is the central fact of our existence as caregiving spouses, so my hope is that this will be useful to some of you. If anyone is interested in what happened from that point forward, I will share it here.

Thank you for listening,
Joni

By umajane On 2015.04.19 14:55
My deepest condolences.. What an amazing journey you had and taking such good care of him..Please write often and thank you ever so much for sharing this final time you had together.

By jaxrock On 2015.04.19 18:37
Thank you for a beautiful heartfelt post. I know it took courage to write all of that......but, I'm so glad you did.
I wish you peace and comfort in your life going forward.
My deepest sympathy.

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.04.19 21:31
Sharing your final days and moments is very much appreciated. I am so sorry for your loss.

By Wildcats1958 On 2015.04.19 22:29
Thank you for sharing. Writing is such good therapy for all of us. We have to help each other thru all the steps and then some. Please feel free to write as much as you need to. We Parkinson caregivers have a special bond with each other.

By Freespirit On 2015.04.20 08:12
Dearest Joni,
Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us.

By lurkingforacure On 2015.04.20 09:00
What a strong person you are, to be able to write this. Thank you so much for sharing with all of us.

By mylove On 2015.04.20 09:04
This is beautiful. I wish you peace...

By Mary556 On 2015.04.20 12:56
Bless you, Joni. Thank you for sharing with us. I shed a tear reading what you wrote. How much your loved ones love you! ... your sister immediately flying cross-country to be with you, your husband waiting until he knew someone would be there to care for you... so much love.
Thank you also for linking to the booklet; it helped me to understand better the different stages.

By Marilyn-NJ On 2015.04.20 16:39
How much more giving can a person be. Thank you for a most incredible writing. I wish you peace.

By makrivah On 2015.04.20 17:11
Your post was a moving tribute to the love and support you gave your husband. I pray you find peace knowing he no longer suffers.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.04.20 19:24
Joni, condolences upon your loss. I commend You on your bravery and strength to post upon the forum what You and Yours went through. Truly you care, I've been on the forum since 2003 (the end of January) and think that this is the most complete and caring end of disease post I've seen. And to offer more information if the caregivers want it is most honorable and loving action to Your fellow caregivers/partners here and a great testimony to the love for your Dear Husband to offer this as a help to ease the future passing of others loved ones. I bow in deep respect to your strength and grace in reaching out through your hurt to help others. Sincerely Al

By JulieB On 2015.04.21 12:25
Joni, I was so moved and grateful for what you shared. I echo what everyone said above. Al said it beautifully too. I have found that it helps me to write about the details of my husband Michael's passing too. It's so painful, but death is a part of being human, and I write it down because I don't want to forget the details and beauty found in something so sacred and so difficult. I want to thank you for your example and your willingness to share. God bless and comfort you now, dear Joni.... xoxo

By Daybyday On 2015.04.28 14:56
Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us Joni. You will never know how much it may have helped someone but be assured you have. It was good therapy for you to share it with all and it is good for us to hear. That pamphlet sounds like it would benefit many of us as well. Thank you again and I wish you peace and blessings. You traveled your journey with such grace & class.
Joanne

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you