For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic quiet Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Wildcats1958 On 2015.04.25 18:02
As time goes along my husband gets quieter and of course the loss of expression. The quiet is as if nobody was in there. This comes and goes. This is in the 15th year. Is it in the declining period.

By umajane On 2015.04.25 23:08
My husband is very quiet as well. Sometimes dinner time is so still I have to turn on the radio. I initiate almost every conversation unless there is a complaint. He doesn't like me to speak loud either.. He is amazingly vocal however when I drive. Tomorrow I am taking out our RV...I HAVE TO DRIVE TO HIS SPECIFICATIONS. he was always difficult concerning cars but now it's quite a chore. PS I am a good safe driver and the sole driver now.
Before PD I would not allow his back seat driving but I let him now. It is so difficult sometimes. My husband is 75 and was diagnosed about 4-5 years ago.
I am on the phone with a lot of friends to stay engaged but the QUIET can be eerie!

By Wildcats1958 On 2015.04.26 19:50
He goes to an PD exercise class and the wives visit in a room. We all shared that their voice gets so low and quiet but during a rem sleep situation they can yell out very loud. They said that PD's are sensitive to our voice tone and they think we are yelling sometimes when we are not.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.04.26 20:42
This is the first time I've ever heard of patients being more sensitive to voice tone and think people are yelling when they're not. Also I'm wondering why now because he has P.D. you allow "backseat driving" when you never did before? Just wondering.

By umajane On 2015.04.28 00:06
I allow backseat driving because my husband thinks he is being helpful and that is important to him. He comes alive when he coaches so I grin and bear it because it gives him something to do His life has revolved around cars, motorcycles and similar interests. He used to love to work on his bikes and cars. It is still very new to him that he has had to give all this up except for TV or magazines. I am so sad that PD is such a huge part of our lives but we live with whatever comes our way.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.04.28 08:42
Oh, okay, thanks uma. That makes more sense to me. When I first read it I thought it was a he's sick so I'll let it slide thing. Some people do these things and jump in to help or take over things but as we all know P.D. is a long disease and what you let slide you wouldn't before it can fray nerves seemingly forever. If cars were a big part of his life and it helps soften not driving then kudos to you. I hope I didn't upset you by asking. Thanks again for answering (we're all learning). Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By Mary556 On 2015.04.29 23:01
My Mom gets very quiet at times, answering questions with one syllable or not at all. It seems to happen more when she is pondering /worrying over something. The other day she confided to me that when she does not recognize us, she does not want to let on and she keeps it to herself.

Yes, my mother is very sensitive to tone of voice... not physically-sensitive, but emotionally-sensitive. PWPs who have dementia or cognitive issues may not always register what is being said, but take their cues from our voices and body language. When my family members get too animated, when someone does not seem to be listening and we talk a bit louder to try to get our point across, my PWP experiences that as "fighting". It upsets her when loved ones do not seem to get along. I try to reassure her that we are not angry with one another, we are just not communicating well and we get frustrated from time to time.

By lurkingforacure On 2015.05.01 20:02
Deleted my earlier post, I'm just overwhelmed. PD impacts every aspect of life for everyone involved, sucks.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.06.14 07:32
My husband is quiet too, but it's mainly because he has problems expressing himself due to struggling to find words he wants to say.
I have to wait for him to try to get the word out but when he is in a group he doesn't say much as they often times don't wait for him to say what he want to say.
His voice is much softer than before and I can hear how he used to sound because on our answering machine it's his old voice which was strong and sounded like Pat Boone (my friend often told me).
We are trying to do speech therapy to raise the volume but it doesn't help with the loss of words.
He was always a slow reader but now it's much slower and he can't always say the word which is right in front of him on paper. He can read the same thing from day to day and he never reads it the same.
The exercise with the help of the caregiver is to say "AH" using modal pitch. The best way to find that is by saying, helloooahhh. This allows you to hear where your voice naturally is while practising.
Start by saying "Ah". The focus is to say "AH" as LOUD as you can.
AH should be clear and loud, no strain or cracks.
The ONLY cue you are going to give your loved one is "Do what I do" and "Be LOUD"
The caregiver says Helloooahhh and the PWP repeats this as loud as they can. This is done about 10 times.
Then the caregiver says hellooahh, but the ahh is raised in pitch. Then the other way, it's lowered. Do this exercise 10 times each or more if they aren't tired.
Sentences are given to read out loud by the PWP and a paragraph to read out loud too.
I try to do this when he isn't too sleepy as it doesn't work otherwise.
He speaks loudly when doing these exercises so I know he can speak louder, but he doesn't carry this on when speaking later.
It just a struggle for him to talk and I feel so helpless............ but we are trying.

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you