For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic still here, but oh how things are changing Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By olpilot On 2015.05.14 02:28
It has been a long time since I last posted here and so much has changed in our world. My wife has been declared disabled because of the damage done to her wrists from the carpal tunnel surgery. We have sold our home in Wi, purchased a motor home which is now our home and begun traveling. After I got off ropinaral I quit having the sleep attacks and am much more like my oldself. I can drive alert and comfortable but when I get tired I quit, take a break or take a nap. This has been the most difficult and wonderful adventure in our lives. Tonight we are in Missoula Mt at a KOA campground that we will spend the summer working at, if we can make it. It shouldn't be to tough we will work 3 days a week, the same 3 so we get the same time off. Sounds like I will do some light maintenance and my big job will be leading campers to their camp sites. This is for us a real once in a life chance.

My pd has been fairly slow in progression but we all know that can change but while I can we have to do this. Every financial decision I have ever made has come back to bite me in the ass but this one is different, it was a decision made because if we don't do it know we may never be able to. Getting the logistics of meds has been a real challenge, but for the most part have figured it out. To under take this together now is the right time. I do not want to look back and say,"ya know we should have when we had the chance".

Our trip to Mt from Wi was unbelievable. We went through Sioux Falls Sd to Rapid City Sd. From there we went to the Little Big Horn in Mt, then to Yellowstone National Park where we spent 4 days seeing as much as we could, to leaving the west entrance to Yellowstone to drive up hwy 191 to Big Sky Mt and on into Missoula. We have seen some of the most beautiful sites this country has to offer. This disease really sucks but to have let it rob us of this chance would have been a true travesty. These physical problems will one day bring us down, but not easily and not with out a fight. I am feeling up right now and I know I will feel down in the future, but for as long as we can we will make the best of what we have and continue on this quest. I have no idea how far or how long we can do this, we plan our trips based on 200 miles a day when traveling, if we do better great if not so well, what the heck. Through the woodworking and what ever else has happened we try to keep moving forward, it doesn't always work that way but we try. If my mental state continues to deteriorate, which has been fairly slow at least one of us will have great memories, and I will have them for as long as possible. I do have a facebook page called "a parkie in the forest" that I try to update daily with pictures if anyone want to follow our journey. Please join us for the ups and downs. I have recieved so much from this place that I would like to give back what ever I can.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.05.14 08:23
WTG!

By jaxrock On 2015.05.14 10:02
This is what I call LIVING!!
Keep on keepin' on

Good Luck

By jcoff012 On 2015.05.14 18:04
WTG!! So glad to hear from you in such a wonderful post!

By makrivah On 2015.05.14 19:11
Hip! Hip! Hooray! Fantastic adventure. Enjoy the joy of this magnificent world. My happy spirit follows you on this marvelous and gutsy trip.

By Mary556 On 2015.05.14 23:01
That is great, olpilot. Happy Trails to you & your Mrs!

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.05.15 17:27
Thanks for the great post! Someone pursuing their dreams is so uplifting and inspirational!

By umajane On 2015.05.15 22:12
I am following you on Facebook. We are also RV'ers and still get out from time to time. Enjoy every minute.

By carman96 On 2015.05.16 07:03
Sorry your wife's hands did not get better. But sounds like you two are doing great! You are so right, do it while you can!

By lurkingforacure On 2015.05.17 21:18
Way to go!!

By olpilot On 2015.06.21 02:19
Thank you all. It has been going great so far. Today was a bad day, my brother in law passed away from prostrate cancer. We knew it was coming but we thought we had some time. He was younger than me mid 50's, he was a great guy and will be terrible missed. We are driving back to Minneapolis Minnesota tomorrow to be with our family. We will be back here in a week or so. This is the one thing that makes us feel so far from family.

So far we feel we did the right thing though, we work 3 days a week. The same days so thats nice. For next winter we have been offered and accepted a job near Tucson AZ. I, ll be cooking steaks on the grill and Shelley will be making salads and plating the food. That one is a bit scarier because it involves 5 days a week for us both. But I think we shall continue to try new things till we find we have reached the end of what we can do. I try to update as much as I can, be back soon.

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.06.21 16:00
Great to hear from you, sorry about the loss of your brother-in-law. I'm sure there is a hole in both of you and yours.

By moonswife On 2015.06.22 21:44
olpilot, Your post was inspirational. It renewed in our family that anything is possible if you believe you can, and make adjustments according to you abilities.

By bksquared On 2015.06.22 23:44
Sounds like having been given some lemons you are making lemonade. You are creating a future and emptying the bucket. We will be wintering in Tucson. Where is the grill at which you will be cooking?

DISCLAIMER: This website shares news, information, personal opinions, and experiences related to Parkinson's disease and caring for people with Parkinson's. It does not provide medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. This content is not a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health providers with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay seeking it because of something you have read on this website and its discussion forum.

© MyParkinsons.org · Published by jAess Media · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Sponsorship Assistance for this website and Forum has been provided by people like you