For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic chemical restraints Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By Mary556 On 2015.05.14 22:59
In addition to advance directives (living will, power of attorney, medical power of attorney, etc.), it would be good to consider and have a plan ahead of time concerning the use of chemical restraints in nursing homes.
If your loved one is placed in a skilled nursing or rehab facility following a sudden fall and hospitalization, how will your person be treated if they become upset or uncooperative? What if it is the middle of the night and your PWP's behavior is difficult for the staff to manage... Will the facility's physician have the power to prescribe an anti-psychotic drug without your knowledge? What effect could that mind-altering medication have on any pre-existing dementia or lewy bodies? Is it possible to have a very specific agreement signed by both parties upon admission?

This AARP article is more about malpractice situations, but raises similar concerns:
http://www.aarp.org/health/drugs-supplements/info-2014/antipsychotics-overprescribed.1.html

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.05.17 22:30
Mary, this is a good question and I don't know the answer. What I do know is it seems as though nursing home doctors don't consult they just do and dam the consequences. My friend Tom had his knee operated on several years ago and went for 3 weeks rehab in nursing home upon discharge from hospital. After the first week he was going stir crazy and mentioned to a nurse who was in his room he wanted out and hoped it would be soon. What if it isn't she asked he replied well I guess I'd kill myself. ( this man has a deep love of life and was joking) but I guess you don't do that there because she reported it they sedated him. He was on the bed in the fetal position for a week from that. Our Neurologist was livid they sedated him and more livid when the doctor there told him once he enters that door I'm in charge, I make the calls and don't need to consult you or confer with you. Needless to say they got Tom out of there as soon as possible. So anything you can get in their chart as what not to do can only help.

By lurkingforacure On 2015.05.18 19:35
I second what Al said and would add that even if you give permission to have drug X given to your loved one, you can withdraw that consent at any time. They will fight you, it can get ugly, but you have to do what you think is right. Better safe than sorry.

It also doesn't matter how "good" the facility is: fancy drapes and carpet don't necessarily equate to quality care.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you