For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Multiple perspectives on Alz. Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By lurkingforacure On 2015.06.29 21:14
A newly-released fictional story dealing with a man dx'd with Alz. found its way into my book bag the other day. Written by a man whose father passed away from Alz., it switches back and forth between the perspectives of the patient, the wife/caregiver (who, spoiler alert, dies first (with a commentary about that by the doctor as to why it happened)), each of his children, and his doctor. Although it is fiction, it's pretty credible. I found the alternating perspectives very helpful and will try to remember them as I navigate this crazy PD caregiver journey. The book is called "An Absent Mind" by Eric Rill.

By ResistanceFutil On 2015.06.30 09:06
That sounds like a good book. Another Alzheimer's true story written by the caregivers (two patients, two husband and wife teams) documented the day-to-day care in the final years. The title is a bit misleading: Her Final Year by James Downey. This also includes blog posts that one or two of the authors wrote at the actual time.

I've quit reading it at the point where the caregiving ends. The remainder of the book is about the changes, emotionally and socially, that the now ex-caregivers face when their duties are over due to the death of their respective moms.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you