For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic brain injury & Parkinson's Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By walkingwounded On 2015.07.03 12:46
PD seems to run in my Mom's side of the family. I'm currently my Mom's caretaker. I have a traumatic brain injury from a car wreck, but I'm curious-does anyone know if my brain injury will leave me even more susceptible to PD? So far, Mom's MDS seems like she dismisses every question we have with, "Oh, that's just the Parkinson's" I'm starting to feel like telling the MDS if we knew everything, we wouldn't need her!

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.07.03 16:21
Hi and welcome to the forum. I don't think anyone can definitively say a traumatic brain injury will cause or make you more susceptible to P.D. No one knows for sure. You could probably look up online and find many articles stating it would but in truth no one can say. Years ago the first question out of most Neurologists mouths was have you ever hit you head? The theory was hit your head and it probably caused P.D. problem with that is growing up without bumping ones head is nigh impossible. (I realize you are talking much, much more serious accident and I'm not making light of it in any way). It's just that those ideas have a life of their own in medicine. Would it put you at greater risk? I don't think so but I'm not a doctor (thank g-d) Parkinson's develops in the deep brain by or just above the brain stem, not in the cortex or outer covering which is what collides with the brain pan or inside skull. I hope this helps to ease your concern a little and again welcome to the forum, there are many helpful caring folks here and we'll try to help with any questions you may have. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

By walkingwounded On 2015.07.06 23:49
Thank you. I've found several topics very helpful already. I don't understand why the docs can't at least direct people to a forum like this, or give out books about PD. It's frustrating to hear, "It's just the Parkinson's" w/o any explanation

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you