For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Home] [Forum] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Personality changes Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By CP On 2015.07.05 17:42
I am new to this board...my husband (age 57) was diagnosed with PD about 2 months ago, after going through about 9 months of testing. He has exhibited a number of personality/behavioral changes in the past few years, which I now have learned are probably related to PD. One thing I am trying to deal with is that he has terrible mood swings that occur only in the evening...he is fine during the day, but when evening comes, he can be quite angry and nasty...he calls me awful names, and behaves very childishly if he doesn't get his way and I can't get a word in edge-wise. He was never like this in our 35 years of marriage and our adult children have mentioned they have noticed a change in his personality in the evenings as well. He is not on any drugs right now for PD. Are these evening mood swings typical for someone with PD?

By LOHENGR1N On 2015.07.05 18:57
CP, hi and welcome to the forum. Are these evening mood swings typical of someone with P.D.? I would say not really. We each seem to get our own set of symptom to go along with the "general" picture one envisions of Parkinson's. It is more typical of navigating the grieving process. Recent diagnosis while putting a name finally to why or what caused that feeling something's wrong leaves us in the middle of grieving. Each day our frustration, fear and what is next builds throughout the day and by evening it becomes a load to carry, I'd suggest you look up the 5 stages of grieving and if you can read them together. They will help you understand what you're feeling and the feelings are normal. Also keep them handy because we patients revisit them often as the disease progresses and we lose a little more we grieve those losses too. I hope this helps some. Again welcome to the forum it's a great place to find answers to you questions and caring people to help along this journey. Take care, best of luck and hang in there

© 2003-2017 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you