For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Heat and Cold Intolerance Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By makrivah On 2015.08.05 10:32
On July 7 I wrote a query about sudden cognitive decline. It's been a bad month with slight decline. Last night I had an epiphany! With the thermostat set a 75, he will put on a sweatshirt and sit under a comforter in his recliner. I'm in tshirt and shorts. Outside for more than 30 minutes if the temp is over 85 or he exerts himself at all, he seems to "melt" physically and mentally. It is alarming almost looks like a stroke. But he comes inside, drinks some water and lies down, within a few hours he is better. I looked up heat intolerance and PD on the web. Many many articles. I don't know how I missed that PD can impact a PWP's temperature gauge. From WebMD: These symptoms are mostly related to changes to the nerves that control automatic body processes (like body heat).
Btw, my husband never had this happen to him until the last few months. Another indication of progression. Sad. Sad. Sad.
Anyway, I thought I'd share this info in case someone else missed it too. It explained a lot for me.
Keep on keeping on...and keep the air conditioning humming.

By Mary556 On 2015.08.06 20:05
thanks, Makrivah. somehow I never thought to look up articles about this symptom, will try to read more.
my PWP is good between 73-77 degrees in the house. if temp goes above 77 in living room we move Mom to bedroom that has AC. the last week or two she's been spending much time in there, but overheating causes too many problems. hopefully we will get cooler weather soon.
my Mom does not bundle up really, but when there is a fan too close to her or breeze from a window, she feels uncomfortably cold and asks for her sweater... even when the ambient air is rather warm. (so I just turn off the fan or close the window and she is fine.)

By Lynnie2 On 2015.08.08 16:22
My husband also notices the heat more now than before his lung surgery. I don't know if that's because of that or because of the PD. He also has cold feet at times but I thought it was because of circulation.

By moonswife On 2015.08.08 19:04
We fight this battle too, after his many years. There does not seem to be much of a range where Mike is comfortable. It can be 84 in the bedroom and he asks me to cover him with a sheet. If he goes outside when it is over 90 his strength fades fast. It is just tough when he has all his projects staring out his shop door, and he is drawn to them. If he is OCD about anything, it is that a project MUST be worked on every single day. Never give in. Never give up is his motto.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.08.08 21:11
Moonwife
Well that great that he is interested in something to do. My husband used to make Christmas tree stands from a disk and pipe and weld them and paint them and he even had them in a stores.
They were really popular because the trees wouldn't tip over.
Anyway, we don't live on the farm anymore to have the use of the barn and equipment, but he is way past doing that anyway.
We have workshop in the basement but he doesn't do anything anymore and doesn't really have any hobby or the strength to do things.
It is sad to see him sit around and nap half the time. This darn (dam) disease.......

By makrivah On 2015.08.08 22:29
Yes, I too feel the sadness of his lost interests. He loved to restore old cars, make things for me to use in the garden, all the handyman honey-dos around the house. We added heat and AC to his workshop(a dedicated 2 car unattached garage). He sold the last car two years ago...unfinished. I don't know the last time he even went inside his workshop. I have it sprayed for bugs and make sure everything is ok (leaks, drafts, etc.). At one time his plan was to turn half the space into his man cave with all the trimmings. He lost interest. It breaks my heart. As we all see, days become stillness sitting in his recliner watching tv.

I'm going to keep a closer watch on his comfortable temperature range to see if I can head off the swings for him. It's the least I can do.

By Lynnie2 On 2015.08.09 08:06
My husband was also a farmer and could do almost anything around the house and yards. He even built larger closets in the bedrooms.
He also held a full time job on shift work as a councillor with the mentally handicapped so he had a full live.
He retired at age 52 , but then took on a part time job afterwards until he was diagnosed with PD. It just sad to see him go down hill. I think that's the hardest part about all of this.
You think in your senior years you can enjoy life and do what you want to do, but life has a way of changing things.
I am just thankful they found the cancer on time and he didn't have to go through any chemo. I don't think he could have tolerated it.
Take care and my thoughts are with you.
LYNNIE

By umajane On 2015.08.09 19:27
Interesting topic....my husband seems to get cold a lot...He always wears a jacket even when it's 80 degrees. If I touch him with cold hands it really bothers him.
On another topic...my husband is napping again..He is not interested in doing anything at all....it is sad to see this apathy toward everything. I know it's the disease but so sad to watch.

By Mary556 On 2015.08.09 22:26
laughing about cold hands .. my PWP jumps whenever I touch her to pivot her out of bed anymore. Mom has some little gloves nearby that I put on myself so as not to shock her. we look quite fashionable :)

By michele On 2015.08.10 19:11
My Dad gets so cold. Even when it's hot inside he wants a thick blanket with a second small one on his feet. The heat makes him tired and he will not stay outside too long. We will all be sweating inside but he doesn't want the AC window unit on in the living room because he's freezing. His body temp will actually drop. But he has PD, dementia and CHF. This past winter he actually became hypothermic inside the house with heat on and cover! It's really hard to regulate him to keep him safe.

By Mary556 On 2015.08.11 04:06
Michele, I remember your Dad in a prayer. It is an awful feeling to be cold. Do you think a hot water bottle might help him? I've used one now and then, starting a few years ago after a touch of hypothermia; it helps me to stay warmer. There are good thermoplastic ones at Amazon (Fashy or Epica brand) that fill with hot tap water and retain the heat all night. I've never had a problem with leaking. Someone recommended to tuck it under the right armpit (side away from heart).

Best wishes and prayers for all of our PWPs and caregivers.

By michele On 2015.08.12 23:05
Thanks Mary556, I'll look into that. Thank you for saying a prayer for him also!!

By carman96 On 2015.08.14 06:26
Yes, I think it is weird when my husband is cold when it's 80 degrees in the house. Then he will bundle up and start sweating. I think part of it is not moving around very much. It is also part of his dementia that he doesn't know what season it is. Like he put a heavy shirt on to go outside even though I told him it was 95 out. That was soon discarded.
He says my hands are always cold. Well, I do have to help him dress, so too bad for him.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you