For those who care for someone with Parkinson's disease
[Forum] [Home] [Help] [Search] [Register] [Login] [Books] [Commentary] [Contact] [Donate]
You are not logged in

Topic Lots of questions Go to previous topic Go to next topic Go to higher level

By dageez On 2015.09.08 18:06
Has anyone heard of poor vision/eyestrain worsening symptoms?
Might this be one cause of "sundowning"?

By lurkingforacure On 2015.09.08 23:01
I don't think so. We are early-onset PD and shortly after dx my husband said he saw strobing lights sometimes and reading became difficult. It is well known that the eye muscles are also affected in PD and thus eyes don't track evenly, they jump around and even if it is very subtle, it makes it hard and exhausting to read.

Vision issues are common in PD, sadly, and I think there's rather a lot of information out there about it. Our neuro actually gave us a handout dealing specifically and only with vision issues in PD, I was grateful but surprised.

By carman96 On 2015.09.08 23:37
Welcome to the forum. I don't think vision has that much to do with sundowning. Although vision problems are common in PD, I believe sundowning is more about hallucinations, paranoia and delusions.
I was hoping that some of my husband's hallucinations were more like illusions, like a rock looking like a cat, etc. Maybe his eyesight getting bad?
No, when I took him to the eye doctor his vision wasn't really that bad, except for his cataracts being a little worse.
No, it's hallucinations and delusions, and they are worse in the afternoon.

By dageez On 2015.09.09 16:57
There may be something to the heat problem, too. We did fine today with very little "off" time until she got outside in the heat for just a few minutes this afternoon. Whoops, major crash.
Just another day.

By carman96 On 2015.09.09 23:26
Yes, very important to keep them hydrated in the heat.
It seems my husband doesn't do well with temperature changes.

By bksquared On 2015.09.10 00:50
Husband Pwp has vision issues from PD. His eyes cannot focus. Therefore the opthal neurologist recommended prisms to bring his eye into focus. Basically he was seeing double sometimes. It gets worse when he is tired so late afternoon or when stressed.

By umajane On 2015.09.10 10:49
My husband has been seeing double and often cannot see a cup on the table etc.
Can't find toothbrush etc. etc.
Our ophthalmologist recommended a Neuro-Ophalmologist. We will have an appointment in 2 months at Stanford.
There is such a big disconnect we don't if it is vision, confusion or both.

© 2003-2016 MyParkinsons.org · Privacy Policy & Terms of Use
Published by jAess Media. This website and Forum is sponsorsed by people like you